all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Will there be an Emacs 28.3 release?
@ 2023-06-04 11:05 Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2023-06-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

The 28.3-rc1 release candidate appeared on 2023-02-19 which was more
than three months ago. The statement at the time was that the 28.3
release would be made "hopefully already later today" but apparently
that hasn't happened. There's also no activity on the emacs-28 branch
since February. Meanwhile, the pretest for 29.1 has started.

So, will there be an 28.3 release at all?

I am asking because Gentoo has a package for the release candidate with
testing keywords since February, and I wonder what will be the way
forward. If it was certain that there won't be a 28.3 release, then we
would presumably label our 28.3_rc1 package as stable and drop 28.2.
(It has seen three months of testing after all. :)

* Re: Will there be an Emacs 28.3 release?
@ 2023-06-04 12:01 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-04 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org>
> Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 13:05:14 +0200
>
> The 28.3-rc1 release candidate appeared on 2023-02-19 which was more
> than three months ago. The statement at the time was that the 28.3
> release would be made "hopefully already later today" but apparently
> that hasn't happened. There's also no activity on the emacs-28 branch
> since February. Meanwhile, the pretest for 29.1 has started.
>
> So, will there be an 28.3 release at all?

Only if someone steps forward to finish the job started by Stefan
Kangas, who prepared the RC.  I myself cannot afford adding that to
what I have to do already, including the v29.1 release process.
Sorry.

> I am asking because Gentoo has a package for the release candidate with
> testing keywords since February, and I wonder what will be the way
> forward. If it was certain that there won't be a 28.3 release, then we
> would presumably label our 28.3_rc1 package as stable and drop 28.2.
> (It has seen three months of testing after all. :)

I think making your own 28.3 release is a good move, all things
considering.