all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-06 16:37 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I use either vc-dir or the ahg package. Both are nice for showing the
graph and commiting, even for interactive commiting, which I do a lot
lately.

However, merging and rebasing I have to do via the command line and then
although emacs pops up, emacs is just in text mode but not in
vc-hg-log-edit-mode so I don't have the usual emacs support.

I am not sure how many emacs users are on this list, but if they are I'd
love to hear about their workflow.

I also tried monky a bit, but it is not very intuitive at least not for me.

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

* Re: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-06 17:04 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-06 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 18:37:33 +0200
>
> I use either vc-dir or the ahg package. Both are nice for showing the
> graph and commiting, even for interactive commiting, which I do a lot
> lately.
>
> However, merging and rebasing I have to do via the command line and then
> although emacs pops up, emacs is just in text mode but not in
> vc-hg-log-edit-mode so I don't have the usual emacs support.

I don't thin VC supports rebasing.  But merging is supported: see
vc-merge (a.k.a. "C-x v m" in a vc-dir buffer).

* Re: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-06 20:30   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I don't thin VC supports rebasing.  But merging is supported: see
> vc-merge (a.k.a. "C-x v m" in a vc-dir buffer).

Well yes and no (at least for hg).
Steps:

    1. vc-merge

    2. I am asked for a version to merge.

    3. I obtain
Running "merge 5"...
1 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
(branch merge, don't forget to commit)

(5 because hg has also local rev numbers beside HASHES)

But the commit that is needed, cannot be done my vc, at least I am unable, vc-dir  gives.

VC backend : Hg
Working dir: ~/HGTest/Branches/Named/
Parent     : 6:d1ccbfd46e4e tip
           :  Seven
Parent     : 5:1cd3b49213c7
           :  Six
Branch     : default
Commit     : 1 modified (merge)
Update     : (current)
Phases     : 7 draft

                         ./
    edited               test.org

But when I select, as usual the edit file and run vc-next-action I obtain

Running "commit -m Merge

 test.org"...
abort: cannot partially commit a merge (do not specify files or patterns)

Well so I repeat the operation without selecting a file, I obtain

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error #("Failed (status 255): hg --config ui.report_untrust..." 65 70 (fontified t face log-edit-summary jit-lock-defer-multiline t)))
  signal(error (#("Failed (status 255): hg --config ui.report_untrust..." 65 70 (fontified t face log-edit-summary jit-lock-defer-multiline t))))
  error("Failed (%s): %s" "status 255" #("hg --config ui.report_untrusted=0 commit -m Merge\n..." 44 49 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t)))
  vc-do-command("*vc*" 0 "hg" ("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") "--config" "ui.report_untrusted=0" "commit" "-m" #("Merge\n\n" 0 5 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t)))
  apply(vc-do-command "*vc*" 0 "hg" ("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") ("--config" "ui.report_untrusted=0" "commit" "-m" #("Merge\n\n" 0 5 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t))))
  vc-hg-command(nil 0 ("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") "commit" "-m" #("Merge\n\n" 0 5 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t)))
  apply(vc-hg-command nil 0 ("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") ("commit" "-m" #("Merge\n\n" 0 5 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t))))
  vc-hg-checkin(("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") #("Summary: Merge\n" 0 7 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t pabbrev-added t) 7 8 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t) 8 9 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t fontified t) 9 14 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t) 14 15 (fontified t)) nil)
  apply(vc-hg-checkin (("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") #("Summary: Merge\n" 0 7 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t pabbrev-added t) 7 8 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t) 8 9 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t fontified t) 9 14 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t) 14 15 (fontified t)) nil))
  vc-call-backend(Hg checkin ("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") #("Summary: Merge\n" 0 7 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t pabbrev-added t) 7 8 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t) 8 9 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t fontified t) 9 14 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t) 14 15 (fontified t)) nil)
  #f(compiled-function (files comment) #<bytecode 0x197e0f6bebe04cfe>)(("/home/oub/HGTest/Branches/Named/test.org") #("Summary: Merge\n" 0 7 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t pabbrev-added t) 7 8 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-header fontified t) 8 9 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t fontified t) 9 14 (jit-lock-defer-multiline t face log-edit-summary fontified t) 14 15 (fontified t)))
  vc-finish-logentry()
  funcall-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
  call-interactively(vc-finish-logentry)
  log-edit-done()
  funcall-interactively(log-edit-done)
  call-interactively(log-edit-done nil nil)
  command-execute(log-edit-done)

So I am confused

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-07  2:29     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-09-07  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
> Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 22:30:04 +0200
>
> > I don't thin VC supports rebasing.  But merging is supported: see
> > vc-merge (a.k.a. "C-x v m" in a vc-dir buffer).
>
> Well yes and no (at least for hg).
> Steps:
>
>     1. vc-merge
>
>     2. I am asked for a version to merge.
>
>     3. I obtain
> Running "merge 5"...
> 1 files updated, 0 files merged, 0 files removed, 0 files unresolved
> (branch merge, don't forget to commit)
>
> (5 because hg has also local rev numbers beside HASHES)
>
> But the commit that is needed, cannot be done my vc, at least I am unable, vc-dir  gives.
>
> VC backend : Hg
> Working dir: ~/HGTest/Branches/Named/
> Parent     : 6:d1ccbfd46e4e tip
>            :  Seven
> Parent     : 5:1cd3b49213c7
>            :  Six
> Branch     : default
> Commit     : 1 modified (merge)
> Update     : (current)
> Phases     : 7 draft
>
>                          ./
>     edited               test.org
>
> But when I select, as usual the edit file and run vc-next-action I obtain
>

> Running "commit -m Merge
>
>  test.org"...
> abort: cannot partially commit a merge (do not specify files or patterns)
>
> Well so I repeat the operation without selecting a file, I obtain

This could be some cockpit error, but in any case, suggest to report
the recipe with the problem to the bug tracker, and then the VC
experts will figure out what's wrong.

* Re: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-07  6:44       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-07  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> This could be some cockpit error, but in any case, suggest to report
> the recipe with the problem to the bug tracker, and then the VC
> experts will figure out what's wrong.

OK

--

@ 2022-09-07 15:24 ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-09-07 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2022-09-06, at 18:37, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I use either vc-dir or the ahg package. Both are nice for showing the
> graph and commiting, even for interactive commiting, which I do a lot
> lately.

I am aware that this won't help you (at least short-term), but I had
a similar problem (hg support in Emacs in general) and solved it by
moving to Git.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?
@ 2022-09-08  6:34   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-08  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs

>>> "MB" == Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> writes:

> On 2022-09-06, at 18:37, Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I use either vc-dir or the ahg package. Both are nice for showing the
>> graph and commiting, even for interactive commiting, which I do a lot
>> lately.

> I am aware that this won't help you (at least short-term), but I had
> a similar problem (hg support in Emacs in general) and solved it by
> moving to Git.

Actually not. I cannot deal with git, the distinction between local and
remote drives me crazy. It has no named branches, no local rev numbers,
and some of the commands are cryptic to say the least (yes I know there
is the git-hg Rosetta).

Regards

Uwe

--
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against the Ukraine.
I support the ban of Russia from SWIFT.
I support the EU membership of the Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* [culprit found, it is the cursor] (was: mercurial user: how do you rebase or merge using emacs?)
@ 2022-09-08 16:24         ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2022-09-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs