all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Making the tab key insert a tab
@ 2022-11-25 17:21 rbell
From: rbell @ 2022-11-25 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

	In the good old days (23.3 and before?) emacs used to insert a
tab when I hit the tab key.  Now it ignores it.  I have to hit ctrl-q
tab.  I want emacs to insert a tab when I hit the tab key.  I've
searched the internet and tried many apparent solutions - to no avail.
I usually use Parindent mode.

russell bell

* Re: Making the tab key insert a tab
@ 2022-11-26 15:22 ` Gregory Heytings
From: Gregory Heytings @ 2022-11-26 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rbell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> In the good old days (23.3 and before?) emacs used to insert a tab when
> I hit the tab key.  Now it ignores it.  I have to hit ctrl-q tab.  I
> want emacs to insert a tab when I hit the tab key.  I've searched the
> internet and tried many apparent solutions - to no avail. I usually use
> Parindent mode.

You can use (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'self-insert-command).  Or perhaps
(global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'tab-to-tab-stop), which lets you configure
the tab stops.

* Re: Making the tab key insert a tab
@ 2022-11-26 15:25 ` John Haman
From: John Haman @ 2022-11-26 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rbell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

You might take a look at the documentation for variable
`tab-always-indent`. I bet if you set `tab-always-indent` to nil, you
can get the behavior you are looking for.

--
Dr. John Haman
Maryland, USA

* Re: Making the tab key insert a tab
@ 2022-11-26 15:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-11-26 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2022 10:21:31 -0700
> From: rbell@alumni.caltech.edu
>

> 	In the good old days (23.3 and before?) emacs used to insert a
> tab when I hit the tab key.

In which mode was that?  I just tried Emacs 23.3, and TAB there behaves like
it does nowadays.

> I have to hit ctrl-q tab.  I want emacs to insert a tab when I hit the tab
> key.

You need to rebind TAB to a different command, most probably
self-insert-command.

* Re: Making the tab key insert a tab
@ 2022-11-26 15:53 rbell
From: rbell @ 2022-11-26 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

	Quoth Gregory Heytings:

	'You can use (global-set-key (kbd "TAB") 'self-insert-command).'
	We have a winner!  Thanks.  How could I have missed it.

	Quoth Dr. John Haman:

	'You might take a look at the documentation for variable
`tab-always-indent`. I bet if you set `tab-always-indent` to nil, you
can get the behavior you are looking for.'
	I had already tried this, to no avail.
	I used to live in Maryland.

russell bell