all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-26 16:15 Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-01-26 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

there are these unicode symbols

ok hand sign 👌 #x1f44c
thumb up 👍 #x1f44d
thumb down 👎 #x1f44e

when calling describe-char on them, it doesn't give their names.

is this a bug? does it happen to just few chars, or perhaps all chars
outside basic multilingual plane? I know that many chars outside of
BMP doesn't have this problem.

 Xah ∑ http://xahlee.org/

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-28  6:15 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2011-01-28  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The fact that these characters were introduced in Unicode 6.0.0, released in October 2010 may have something to do with it.

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-28  7:53   ` Klaus Straubinger
From: Klaus Straubinger @ 2011-01-28  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jason Rumney <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote:

> The fact that these characters were introduced in Unicode 6.0.0,
> released in October 2010 may have something to do with it.

One can take advantage of the new Unicode release by downloading
the Unicode data file and customizing the variable
describe-char-unicodedata-file.

,----[ C-h v describe-char-unicodedata-file RET ]

`----

--
Klaus Straubinger

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-28 20:32   ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2011-01-28 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 27, 10:15 pm, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The fact that these characters were introduced in Unicode 6.0.0, released in October 2010 may have something to do with it.

thanks Jason & Klaus. Great answers.

 Xah

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-29 14:37   ` Oleksandr Gavenko
From: Oleksandr Gavenko @ 2011-01-29 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2011-01-28 8:15, Jason Rumney wrote:
> The fact that these characters were introduced in Unicode 6.0.0,
> released in October 2010 may have something to do with it.
 From Emacs brz repo:

revno: 100559
committer: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
branch nick: trunk
timestamp: Wed 2010-06-09 17:46:41 +0200
message:
   Update to Unicode 6.0.0 beta.
   * admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt: Update from
     http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/ucd/UnicodeData-6.0.0d5.txt

But I look native Emacs binary and not found 'UnicodeData.txt'.

How Emacs know name of Unicode chars?

'emacs-23.2/etc/nxml' dir contain code description. This used?

--
Best regards!

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-29 14:56     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-01-29 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleksandr Gavenko; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.01.2011 um 15:37 schrieb Oleksandr Gavenko:

> How Emacs know name of Unicode chars?

 From source.

 From UnicodeData.txt the files lisp/international/uni-*.el are derived.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Remember: use logout to logout.

* Re: describe-char missing info on unicode thumb up char
@ 2011-01-29 14:59     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-29 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:37:22 +0200
>
>  From Emacs brz repo:
>
> revno: 100559
> committer: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
> branch nick: trunk
> timestamp: Wed 2010-06-09 17:46:41 +0200
> message:
>    Update to Unicode 6.0.0 beta.
>    * admin/unidata/UnicodeData.txt: Update from
>      http://www.unicode.org/Public/6.0.0/ucd/UnicodeData-6.0.0d5.txt
>
> But I look native Emacs binary and not found 'UnicodeData.txt'.

The admin directory is not part of the release tarball.

> How Emacs know name of Unicode chars?
>
> 'emacs-23.2/etc/nxml' dir contain code description. This used?

No.  The names from UnicodeData.txt are compressed and put into
lisp/international/uni-name.el.  Other properties are in the other
uni-*.el files.  Emacs uses those when needed.