all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#68339: 29.1; Emacs doesn't support Microsoft PinYin Input Method well
@ 2024-01-08 23:54 Gao Feng
From: Gao Feng @ 2024-01-08 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 68339

To whom it may concerns,

Many of us are using Microsoft PinYin Input Method to input Chinese in Windows System. However, its font size in emacs is too small to be seen

while VIM doesn't have this issue.

With the help of emacser from Emacs China, it seems that the cause is that the im font size is fixed in emacs while VIM has code to deal with it (https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/124371c5a149a8c0c75c04b6c90ac11e71a0aa97/src/gui_w32.c#L5862-L5875).

You could check the attached screenshots, where the size of "ce'shi" is the issue.  Please help check and fix it, thx!

All the best,

Feng

[-- Attachment #2: MSPY in Emacs.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 17782 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: MSPY in VIM.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 22329 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #4: MSPY in Emacs with different font sizes.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 53873 bytes --]

* bug#68339: 29.1; Emacs doesn't support Microsoft PinYin Input Method well
@ 2024-01-09 14:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-09 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gao Feng; +Cc: 68339

> From: Gao Feng <pinacle2000@msn.com>
> Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 23:54:18 +0000
>
> Many of us are using Microsoft PinYin Input Method to input Chinese in Windows System. However,
> its font size in emacs is too small to be seen while VIM doesn't have this issue.
>
> With the help of emacser from Emacs China, it seems that the cause is that the im font size is fixed in
> emacs while VIM has code to deal with it
> (https://github.com/vim/vim/blob/124371c5a149a8c0c75c04b6c90ac11e71a0aa97/src/gui_w32.c#L5862-L5875).

Maybe that Emacs user from China could also suggest a patch for Emacs
to fix this issue?

Po Lu, any comments or suggestions?

The Vim code uses ImmSetCompositionFont function to set the font.  I
don't have a good idea how to choose a font for that function, but
perhaps we could use ImmGetCompositionFont to retrieve the font used
by default, and then change its height and call ImmSetCompositionFont?

I'm just stabbing in the dark, and I don't have a way of testing these
ideas anyway.

* bug#68339: 29.1; Emacs doesn't support Microsoft PinYin Input Method well
@ 2024-01-10  1:48   ` Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Po Lu via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2024-01-10  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Gao Feng, 68339

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Maybe that Emacs user from China could also suggest a patch for Emacs
> to fix this issue?
>
> Po Lu, any comments or suggestions?
>
> The Vim code uses ImmSetCompositionFont function to set the font.  I
> don't have a good idea how to choose a font for that function, but
> perhaps we could use ImmGetCompositionFont to retrieve the font used
> by default, and then change its height and call ImmSetCompositionFont?
>
> I'm just stabbing in the dark, and I don't have a way of testing these
> ideas anyway.

Is it impossible to search for any suitable font that approaches the
frame's font in size, as Emacs does on X in xic_create_xfontset?

There is one difference between composition text on X and on Windows:
the X input method, rather than Emacs, draws composition text onto the
window Emacs provides, and can choose not to respect Emacs's choice of
font.  But this is not relevant here, I think.

* bug#68339: 29.1; Emacs doesn't support Microsoft PinYin Input Method well
@ 2024-01-10 13:08     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-10 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: pinacle2000, 68339

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Gao Feng <pinacle2000@msn.com>,  68339@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:48:26 +0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Maybe that Emacs user from China could also suggest a patch for Emacs
> > to fix this issue?
> >
> > Po Lu, any comments or suggestions?
> >
> > The Vim code uses ImmSetCompositionFont function to set the font.  I
> > don't have a good idea how to choose a font for that function, but
> > perhaps we could use ImmGetCompositionFont to retrieve the font used
> > by default, and then change its height and call ImmSetCompositionFont?
> >
> > I'm just stabbing in the dark, and I don't have a way of testing these
> > ideas anyway.
>
> Is it impossible to search for any suitable font that approaches the
> frame's font in size, as Emacs does on X in xic_create_xfontset?

The w32 frame doesn't have that information, and I don't know how to
create it.