all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-11 19:45 Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2023-01-11 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 60740

etc/NEWS:

  +++
  *** New command 'isearch-emoji-by-name'.
  It is bound to 'C-x 8 e RET' during an incremental search.  The
  command accepts the Unicode name of an Emoji (for example, "smiling
  face" or "heart with arrow"), like 'C-x 8 e e', with minibuffer
  completion, and adds the Emoji into the search string.

These examples "smiling face" and "heart with arrow" work fine.

But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:

  ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
  This should never happen.
  Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
  This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
  Thanks!

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-12  9:47 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-12  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov, Lars Ingebrigtsen, Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 60740

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:45:44 +0200
>
> etc/NEWS:
>
>   +++
>   *** New command 'isearch-emoji-by-name'.
>   It is bound to 'C-x 8 e RET' during an incremental search.  The
>   command accepts the Unicode name of an Emoji (for example, "smiling
>   face" or "heart with arrow"), like 'C-x 8 e e', with minibuffer
>   completion, and adds the Emoji into the search string.
>
> These examples "smiling face" and "heart with arrow" work fine.
>
> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
>
>   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
>   This should never happen.
>   Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
>   This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
>   Thanks!

Looks like a problem with any Emoji that has variants, where you need
to select one of the variants?

Lars, Jonas, could you please look into this?

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-12  9:57   ` Robert Pluim
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-01-12  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Jonas Bernoulli, 60740, Juri Linkov

    >> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
    >>
    >> ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
    >> This should never happen.
    >> Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
    >> This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
    >> Thanks!

I get it straight from 'emacs -Q', so obviously the quantum
probabilities are different here 😀

    Eli> Looks like a problem with any Emoji that has variants, where you need
    Eli> to select one of the variants?

Could be. The transient command log looks like this:

    e           ;; transient:emoji--command-Choose Emoji:👋🏾
    C-s         ;; isearch-repeat-forward
    C-x 8 e RET ;; isearch-emoji-by-name
    w           ;; self-insert-command
    a           ;; self-insert-command
    v           ;; self-insert-command
    i           ;; self-insert-command
    n           ;; self-insert-command
    g           ;; self-insert-command
    SPC         ;; minibuffer-complete-word
    h           ;; self-insert-command
    a           ;; self-insert-command
    n           ;; self-insert-command
    d           ;; self-insert-command
    RET         ;; minibuffer-complete-and-exit
    e           ;; isearch-printing-char

(should that really be calling `isearch-printing-char' at the end
there?)

'C-x 8 e RET' for the same emoji works fine.

Robert

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-12 11:25   ` Daniel Martín via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Daniel Martín via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2023-01-12 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen, Jonas Bernoulli, 60740, Juri Linkov

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
>> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:45:44 +0200
>>
>> etc/NEWS:
>>
>>   +++
>>   *** New command 'isearch-emoji-by-name'.
>>   It is bound to 'C-x 8 e RET' during an incremental search.  The
>>   command accepts the Unicode name of an Emoji (for example, "smiling
>>   face" or "heart with arrow"), like 'C-x 8 e e', with minibuffer
>>   completion, and adds the Emoji into the search string.
>>
>> These examples "smiling face" and "heart with arrow" work fine.
>>
>> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
>>
>>   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
>>   This should never happen.
>>   Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
>>   This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
>>   Thanks!
>
> Looks like a problem with any Emoji that has variants, where you need
> to select one of the variants?

The command suspends the isearch while the emoji-search command is
invoked, but I see that the isearch reactivates prematurely, when the
Transient menu is shown (M-x debug-watch RET isearch-suspended RET is
helpful here).

Perhaps this is conflicting with Transient in some way.  We should try
to keep the isearch suspended until after the Transient menu interaction
has finished, I think.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-12 17:29     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2023-01-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Martín
  Cc: 60740, Eli Zaretskii, Jonas Bernoulli, Lars Ingebrigtsen

>>> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
>>>
>>>   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
>>>   This should never happen.
>>>   Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
>>>   This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
>>>   Thanks!
>>
>> Looks like a problem with any Emoji that has variants, where you need
>> to select one of the variants?
>
> The command suspends the isearch while the emoji-search command is
> invoked, but I see that the isearch reactivates prematurely, when the
> Transient menu is shown (M-x debug-watch RET isearch-suspended RET is
> helpful here).
>
> Perhaps this is conflicting with Transient in some way.  We should try
> to keep the isearch suspended until after the Transient menu interaction
> has finished, I think.

The question is rather opposite: why Transient doesn't use
recursive-edit like all normal minibuffers?

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-21  7:24   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-21  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: larsi, jonas; +Cc: 60740, juri

Ping!  Lars, Jonas: I'd really like to have a solution for this before
Emacs 29 goes into pretest.  Please help.

> Cc: 60740@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 11:47:08 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>
> > From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> > Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 21:45:44 +0200
> >
> > etc/NEWS:
> >
> >   +++
> >   *** New command 'isearch-emoji-by-name'.
> >   It is bound to 'C-x 8 e RET' during an incremental search.  The
> >   command accepts the Unicode name of an Emoji (for example, "smiling
> >   face" or "heart with arrow"), like 'C-x 8 e e', with minibuffer
> >   completion, and adds the Emoji into the search string.
> >
> > These examples "smiling face" and "heart with arrow" work fine.
> >
> > But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
> >
> >   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
> >   This should never happen.
> >   Please open an issue and post the shown command log.
> >   This is a heisenbug, so any additional details might help.
> >   Thanks!
>
> Looks like a problem with any Emoji that has variants, where you need
> to select one of the variants?
>
> Lars, Jonas, could you please look into this?

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-01-22 19:25   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2023-01-22 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, Juri Linkov, Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: 60740

>> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:

That binding doesn't exist in my configuration.  Do you mean
"C-x 8 e e", i.e., emoji-insert?

>>   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.

I couldn't reproduce this with the above command (and also tried a
few other emoji commands).  But I haven't tried with the version of
transient in emacs.git, and I have somewhat recently fixed related
issues in transient's own repository.

Recently I also noticed that my most recent attempt to update transient
in emacs.git has gone wrong; I think I just forgot to push.  I intend
to merge transient.git into emacs.git very soon (it's all bugfixes and
minor cosmetics), but have come aware of additional problems that I was
planning to address first.

> I'd really like to have a solution for this before Emacs 29 goes into
> pretest.

When will that be?  I also want to get the latest bugfixes in before
then and maybe even create a transient release before that happens,
but I would also like to avoid rushing it, if I can help it.  (That
being said, fixing these issues is my top priority now, so I hope to
be ready to merge very soon.)

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-23  7:06     ` Kévin Le Gouguec
From: Kévin Le Gouguec @ 2023-01-23  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 60740, Eli Zaretskii, Lars Ingebrigtsen, Juri Linkov

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

>>> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
>
> That binding doesn't exist in my configuration.  Do you mean
> "C-x 8 e e", i.e., emoji-insert?

The command is isearch-emoji-by-name, and the sequence to invoke it
_ends with RET_; FWIW that's what tripped me up when attempting to
reproduce (I kept hitting C-s C-x 8 e and failing to get the prompt).

FWIW² I can reproduce here (with 29 and master) _after_ removing
~/.emacs.d/transient.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-23 12:09     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-23 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: larsi, 60740, juri

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
> Cc: 60740@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 20:25:55 +0100
>
> >> But typing e.g. 'C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET' fails with:
>
> That binding doesn't exist in my configuration.  Do you mean
> "C-x 8 e e", i.e., emoji-insert?
>
> >>   ⛔ Error (transient): Inconsistent transient state detected.
>
> I couldn't reproduce this with the above command (and also tried a
> few other emoji commands).

What exactly did you try?  The problem I see here is that after typing
"C-s C-x 8 e RET waving hand RET", I immediately get the echo area
shows several variants of the "waving hands" Emoji, but if I type a
letter to choose one of them, I get the error message cited above.

> Recently I also noticed that my most recent attempt to update transient
> in emacs.git has gone wrong; I think I just forgot to push.  I intend
> to merge transient.git into emacs.git very soon (it's all bugfixes and
> minor cosmetics), but have come aware of additional problems that I was
> planning to address first.

Please do that soon, and if that solves this problem, we can close the
bug.

> > I'd really like to have a solution for this before Emacs 29 goes into
> > pretest.
>
> When will that be?

VSN.  Like in a week or so.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-26  7:45       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-26  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jonas, larsi; +Cc: 60740, juri

Ping!  Any progress with this issue?

@ 2023-01-26 15:43         ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2023-01-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, larsi; +Cc: 60740, juri

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Ping!  Any progress with this issue?

I have worked on it but haven't gotten anywhere yet.
I'll try again tomorrow.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-26 16:38           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-26 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: larsi, 60740, juri

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
> Cc: 60740@debbugs.gnu.org, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:43:56 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Ping!  Any progress with this issue?
>
> I have worked on it but haven't gotten anywhere yet.
> I'll try again tomorrow.

Thanks.  I thought you wanted to install a newer version of Transient,
and that the new version solves this problem?  Which is why I thought
it would be a relatively simple job.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-30  9:09             ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2023-01-30  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: larsi, 60740, juri

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
>> Cc: 60740@debbugs.gnu.org, juri@linkov.net
>> Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2023 16:43:56 +0100
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Ping!  Any progress with this issue?
>>
>> I have worked on it but haven't gotten anywhere yet.
>> I'll try again tomorrow.
>
> Thanks.  I thought you wanted to install a newer version of Transient,
> and that the new version solves this problem?  Which is why I thought
> it would be a relatively simple job.  Sorry if I misunderstood.

Unfortunately there is a major bug in transient, which I am struggling
to fix.  I have a working solution but it is quite abstruse and still
needs testing.  I also have a nicer solution that doesn't really work
yet.  If I knew I had time, I would work on the latter.  But since the
pre-release could happen any time now, I should probably work on the
former.

Please warn me a day before you create the pre-release, so I can switch
my focus in time to merge the best solution I can come up by then into
Emacs.

I probably won't have time to fix isearch-emoji-by-name by then.  One
problem is that emoji (not just this particular command) uses transient
in a way it was never intended to be used.  I pointed that out when it
was originally added.  But somehow it worked, so I never got around to
redo it.

I have actually rewritten how emoji uses transient a day ago, and while
it works in principal, it is not finished yet.  I had some faint hope
that doing so would also magically fix isearch-emoji-by-name.  It did
not.  But it lays the ground work for doing that eventually.

I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-30 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: larsi, 60740, juri

> From: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>
> Cc: larsi@gnus.org, 60740@debbugs.gnu.org, juri@linkov.net
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 10:09:34 +0100
>
> Unfortunately there is a major bug in transient, which I am struggling
> to fix.  I have a working solution but it is quite abstruse and still
> needs testing.  I also have a nicer solution that doesn't really work
> yet.  If I knew I had time, I would work on the latter.  But since the
> pre-release could happen any time now, I should probably work on the
> former.

What kind of time frame are you talking when you say "if I knew I had
time"?

> Please warn me a day before you create the pre-release, so I can switch
> my focus in time to merge the best solution I can come up by then into
> Emacs.

Will do.

> I probably won't have time to fix isearch-emoji-by-name by then.  One
> problem is that emoji (not just this particular command) uses transient
> in a way it was never intended to be used.  I pointed that out when it
> was originally added.  But somehow it worked, so I never got around to
> redo it.
>
> I have actually rewritten how emoji uses transient a day ago, and while
> it works in principal, it is not finished yet.  I had some faint hope
> that doing so would also magically fix isearch-emoji-by-name.  It did
> not.  But it lays the ground work for doing that eventually.
>
> I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
> remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.

Since the command works for many Emoji, I prefer to leave it and live
with the known issues.

Thanks.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-30 17:40                 ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2023-01-30 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: larsi, Jonas Bernoulli, 60740

>> I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
>> remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.
>
> Since the command works for many Emoji, I prefer to leave it and live
> with the known issues.

I disabled derived emoji in isearch-emoji-by-name,
so they don't cause the problems anymore in Emacs 29.

Leaving this bug report open to find a proper fix for master
if someone needs to select derived emoji.

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-01-30 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: larsi, jonas, 60740

> From: Juri Linkov <juri@linkov.net>
> Cc: Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li>,  larsi@gnus.org,  60740@debbugs.gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2023 19:40:11 +0200
>
> >> I don't have the time to do that anymore.  It would probably be best to
> >> remove this command from Emacs 29.0.90.
> >
> > Since the command works for many Emoji, I prefer to leave it and live
> > with the known issues.
>
> I disabled derived emoji in isearch-emoji-by-name,
> so they don't cause the problems anymore in Emacs 29.

Does this need some updates to NEWS or the manual?

* bug#60740: 29.0.60; Broken isearch-emoji-by-name
@ 2023-01-30 18:12                     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2023-01-30 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: larsi, jonas, 60740

>> > Since the command works for many Emoji, I prefer to leave it and live
>> > with the known issues.
>>
>> I disabled derived emoji in isearch-emoji-by-name,
>> so they don't cause the problems anymore in Emacs 29.
>
> Does this need some updates to NEWS or the manual?

I don't think so.  Most users won't notice that something is missing.