all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#68607: `fill-column` doesn't always fill paragraph in text-mode
@ 2024-01-20 11:31 Konstantin Kharlamov
From: Konstantin Kharlamov @ 2024-01-20 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 68607

I saw that behavior in different circumstances many times, but this
time I noticed it while working on the NEWS entry as part of #68579 and
it's an easy testcase, so I decided to report.

# Steps to reproduce

1. Create a `1.txt` file with the following text:

It is now possible to pass a directory of a local repository as URL
inside 'treesit-language-source-alist', so that calling
'treesit-install-language-grammar' would avoid cloning the
repository. It may be useful for example for the purposes of bisecting
a treesitter grammar.

2. Open it with `emacs -Q 1.txt`
3. Evaluate (setq fill-column 71)
4. Put a caret over the paragraph and press M-q (alternatively execute M-x
   fill-paragraph)

## Expected

Lines 3 and 4 will change such that the word `repository` gets moved to the 3rd line.

## Actual

Nothing happens

# Version

Emacs build from git 2 days ago: GNU Emacs 30.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.39, cairo version 1.18.0) of 2024-01-18

* bug#68607: `fill-column` doesn't always fill paragraph in text-mode
@ 2024-01-20 11:57 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-20 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konstantin Kharlamov; +Cc: 68607

tags 68607 notabug
thanks

> From: Konstantin Kharlamov <Hi-Angel@yandex.ru>
> Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 14:31:27 +0300
>
> 1. Create a `1.txt` file with the following text:
>
> It is now possible to pass a directory of a local repository as URL
> inside 'treesit-language-source-alist', so that calling
> 'treesit-install-language-grammar' would avoid cloning the
> repository. It may be useful for example for the purposes of bisecting
> a treesitter grammar.
>
> 2. Open it with `emacs -Q 1.txt`
> 3. Evaluate (setq fill-column 71)
> 4. Put a caret over the paragraph and press M-q (alternatively execute M-x
>    fill-paragraph)
>
> ## Expected
>
> Lines 3 and 4 will change such that the word `repository` gets moved to the 3rd line.
>
> ## Actual
>
> Nothing happens

You leave only 1 space between sentences, but didn't customize
sentence-end-double-space to nil to match your style.

This is a cockpit error, Emacs works as intended.