all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Jostein Kjønigsen" <jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net>
To: "Theodor Thornhill" <theo@thornhill.no>,
	"Jostein Kjønigsen" <jostein@kjonigsen.net>
Cc: casouri@gmail.com, 59897@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#59897: 29.0.60; csharp-ts-mode: variable-name fontified as method when invoking method with generic type-argument.
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 12:31:54 +0100	[thread overview]

On 08.12.2022 12:12, Theodor Thornhill wrote:
> Jostein Kjønigsen<jostein@secure.kjonigsen.net>  writes:

>>> Can you test this patch, Jostein, and if you're happy, please install,
>>> Yuan :-)
>> I beat you by 3 minutes, but I'll be a gentleman and test none the less :D
>>
>> You test mine, and we can see which one we prefer?
> Sure!  Both seems to work from what I can tell :-)  I'll let you be the
> judge!
>
> Theo

Your patch solves the issue described in the bug, but does not handle
another fontification error I discovered while testing my patch:

SimpleGenericMethod<Type>(params);

In the above example SimpleGenericMethod is fontified using
font-lock-type-face instead of font-lock-function-name-face. My patch
fixes that case as well.

As for which patch to choose:

  *  From an objective perspective, the way I understand the code, your
    patch overrides an existing fontification to apply variable-name
    instead.
  * My patch however changes some selectors to be more specific
    selectors to avoid fontifying the variable-identifier, and also
    creates a new, highly-specific selector to fontify the variable-name
    aspect as well.

 From a performance perspective, I would assume the latter approach is
more performant, but I don't know enough tree-sitter internals to say
that with 100% confidence.

Does anyone else know?

--
Jostein