all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-11 21:55 uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-08-11 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I am using `completing-read'. The way to go through options in using the arrow keys, right?

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-12  6:02 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-08-12  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> [2022-08-12 00:56]:
> I am using `completing-read'. The way to go through options in using
> the arrow keys, right?

1. If I am already very acquainted with what I am expected to write
   during `completing-read' function and there was some previous entry
   which is remembered in history, then I would usually just search
   for the previous entry by using M-p or M-n

2. If there was no previous history, and I am very acquainted with it,
   I would then start typing an entry and press TAB to expand it.

3. If I am not acquainted with what I am expected to enter then I
   press TAB to see possible completion. This is often the case even
   with my own programs.

To make the function `completing-read' more visual or interactive
depending of personal preferences, one can turn on `helm-mode` or
`ivy-mode' or similar. However, after extensively using those special
completion modes I have found out that I work more efficient with the
Emacs standard completion.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-12  6:18   ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-08-12  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > I am using `completing-read'. The way to go through options in using
> > the arrow keys, right?
>

> 1. If I am already very acquainted with what I am expected to write
> during `completing-read' function and there was some previous entry which is remembered in history, then I would usually just search for the previous entry by using M-p or M-n 2. If there was no previous history, and I am very acquainted with it, I would then start typing an entry and press TAB to expand it. 3. If I am not acquainted with what I am expected to enter then I press TAB to see possible completion. This is often the case even with my own programs. To make the function` completing-read' more visual or interactive
> depending of personal preferences, one can turn on `helm-mode` or
> `ivy-mode' or similar. However, after extensively using those special
> completion modes I have found out that I work more efficient with the
> Emacs standard completion.

Had a go at using TAB,  I get "[Sole Completion]" rather than progressing from the first option to the next.

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-12 21:47     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-08-12 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> Had a go at using TAB, I get "[Sole Completion]" rather than
> progressing from the first option to the next.

In newer Emacs version it is possible to make TAB cycle through
completions by customizing `completion-cycle-threshold' (default:
cycling is off).  Maybe that is what you are looking for?

Michael.

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-12 21:54       ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-08-12 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > Had a go at using TAB, I get "[Sole Completion]" rather than
> > progressing from the first option to the next.
>

> In newer Emacs version it is possible to make TAB cycle through
> completions by customizing `completion-cycle-threshold' (default:
> cycling is off). Maybe that is what you are looking for?
>
> Michael.

No.  I am saying that some argue that TAB cycles through the options, but if one goes to try it, it does not work like that.  But I can do it using the arrow keys.  But the manual does not explain that the arrow keys can be used to iterate through the options provided by completing-read.

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-12 23:49         ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-08-12 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

uzibalqa <uzibalqa@proton.me> writes:

> No.  I am saying that some argue that TAB cycles through the options,
> but if one goes to try it, it does not work like that.

Does not work like what?  Or not at all?

> But I can do it using the arrow keys.  But the manual does not explain
> that the arrow keys can be used to iterate through the options
> provided by completing-read.

Arrow keys cycle through the history, see
(info "(emacs) Minibuffer History")

The future history depends on the context.  It will not always just be
the list of completion candidates.

Michael.

* Re: Moving through options with completing read
@ 2022-08-13  0:00           ` uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2022-08-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > No. I am saying that some argue that TAB cycles through the options,
> > but if one goes to try it, it does not work like that.
>

> Does not work like what? Or not at all?
>
> > But I can do it using the arrow keys. But the manual does not explain
> > that the arrow keys can be used to iterate through the options
> > provided by completing-read.
>

> Arrow keys cycle through the history, see
> (info "(emacs) Minibuffer History")
>
> The future history depends on the context. It will not always just be
> the list of completion candidates.
>
> Michael.

Have not been focusing on minibuffer history, but minibuffer option cycling for completing-read, which is not based on history.