all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Display of "narrow no-break space" character
@ 2023-06-17  9:31 PierGianLuca
From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-06-17  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi everyone.

I use Emacs with a GUI and monospaced font (DejaVu Sans Mono). Lately I've had to use "no-break space" (U+00A0) and "narrow no-break space" (U+202F) very often.

Emacs does a great job distinguishing space from no-break space: the latter is shown as an underlined space. However, no-break space and narrow no-break space are represented in exactly the same way (underlined space).

Does anyone know of a method to make Emacs use a different glyph for narrow no-break space?

I know of whitespace-mode, but that is a bit overkill for my needs, and would require a lot of customization because I don't need highlighting newlines, EOLs, and so on.

In case the theme used has something to do with this, I use modus-operandi. But other themes seem to have the same issue.

Cheers!

* Re: Display of "narrow no-break space" character
@ 2023-06-17 10:39 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 11:31:39 +0200
> From: PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org>
>
> I use Emacs with a GUI and monospaced font (DejaVu Sans Mono). Lately I've had to use "no-break space" (U+00A0) and "narrow no-break space" (U+202F) very often.
>
> Emacs does a great job distinguishing space from no-break space: the latter is shown as an underlined space. However, no-break space and narrow no-break space are represented in exactly the same way (underlined space).
>
> Does anyone know of a method to make Emacs use a different glyph for narrow no-break space?

You should be able to use the display table to change how a character
is displayed.  See the node "Display Tables" in the ELisp manual for
more details about this feature.

* Re: Display of "narrow no-break space" character
@ 2023-06-17 12:09   ` PierGianLuca
From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-06-17 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thank you for the reference, Eli.

I've read the whole "Character Display" section, but it's really above my head; at least the parts that are probably relevant.

I tried to follow the example that starts with

(setq disptab (make-display-table))
[incidentally, there are spurious parentheses at the end of that code]

modifying the "(aset disptab ...)", but no success.

@ 2023-06-17 13:15     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-17 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 14:09:24 +0200
> From: PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org>
>
> Thank you for the reference, Eli.
>
> I've read the whole "Character Display" section, but it's really above my head; at least the parts that are probably relevant.
>
> I tried to follow the example that starts with
>
> (setq disptab (make-display-table))
> [incidentally, there are spurious parentheses at the end of that code]

Thanks, fixed.

> modifying the "(aset disptab ...)", but no success.

Crystal ball says you didn't assign the display table you created to
the buffer display table or standard-display-table.  Without that, all
you have is a display table that nothing in Emacs uses.

If the above is not what you tried, how about showing what you tried?

* Re: Display of "narrow no-break space" character
@ 2023-06-17 14:04       ` PierGianLuca
From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-06-17 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Eli, thank you, actually I think I've managed now:

(setq disptab (make-display-table))
(aset disptab 8239 [729]) ;; upper dot for narrow no-break space
(setq buffer-display-table disptab)

The question now is how to make this the standard display table on all future Emacs sessions. I tried adding

(aset standard-display-table 8239 [729])

to my .init.el, but it yields a "wrong type argument" error. Still, it works if I call it after Emacs is started instead.

@ 2023-06-17 14:18         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-06-17 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2023 16:04:49 +0200
> From: PierGianLuca <luca@magnaspesmeretrix.org>
>
> Hi Eli, thank you, actually I think I've managed now:
>
> (setq disptab (make-display-table))
> (aset disptab 8239 [729]) ;; upper dot for narrow no-break space
> (setq buffer-display-table disptab)
>
> The question now is how to make this the standard display table on all future Emacs sessions. I tried adding
>
> (aset standard-display-table 8239 [729])
>
> to my .init.el, but it yields a "wrong type argument" error. Still, it works if I call it after Emacs is started instead.

standard-display-table is not guaranteed to be set, so you need to
make sure it is first.  Like this:

  (or standard-display-table
      (setq standard-display-table (make-display-table)))
  (aset standard-display-table 8239 [729])

Note that you can also specify a face for the glyphs in the display
table, which could come in handy if you want them to stand out on
display.

* Re: Display of "narrow no-break space" character
@ 2023-06-17 14:34           ` PierGianLuca
From: PierGianLuca @ 2023-06-17 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Fantastic, thank you so much, Eli! Also for the additional suggestion about faces; that will come in very handy indeed.

Cheers,
Luca