all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev>
To: Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com>, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: 62951@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#62951: 29.0.90; c-ts-mode: Incorrect fontification due to FOR_EACH_TAIL_SAFE
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2023 00:04:02 +0300	[thread overview]

On 23/04/2023 03:28, Yuan Fu wrote:
> What do you think of extending the parser to support these macros instead? (So we fork tree-sitter-c.) If we can fix the parser, we don’t need to retrofit hacks onto font-lock, indent, etc, separately, and it truly fixes the problem. The downside is compiling from grammar source to grammar.c needs rust and node tools. But I guess depending on the grammar maintained by tree-sitter’s author isn’t too much different from depending on the grammar maintained by another individual (ie, me)?

We had also talked at some point about replacing the actual text that
the parser sees with something else.

If this can be done in a straightforward way (with tracking the
subsequent correspondence of "real" text back to the buffer for syntax
highlighting), that might be the perfect solution: we'd have a defcustom
which would hold a list of macros used in the current codebase in the
form of templates, and we'd set a bunch of them in emacs/.dir-locals.el.

I'm not sure how difficult this is to implement and maintain, but it's
probably going to be less work to maintain than a fork of the grammar.