all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#59627: 29.0.50; tree-sitter support not documented in emacs manual
@ 2022-11-27  9:38 Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2022-11-27  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 59627; +Cc: Yuan Fu, Theodor Thornhill

The new tree-sitter support is not documented in the emacs manual, only
in the elisp one.  Should it be?

* bug#59627: 29.0.50; tree-sitter support not documented in emacs manual
@ 2022-11-27 11:41 ` Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors
From: Theodor Thornhill via Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text editors @ 2022-11-27 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Kangas, 59627; +Cc: Yuan Fu

> The new tree-sitter support is not documented in the emacs manual, only
> in the elisp one.  Should it be?

To me it seems like the Emacs manual covers broader strokes and
concepts, while tree-sitter still is "just" an internal implementation
detail.  I'm not sure exactly where this distinction goes, though.

Theo

* bug#59627: 29.0.50; tree-sitter support not documented in emacs manual
@ 2022-11-27 22:27   ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2022-11-27 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 59627, Stefan Kangas

> On Nov 27, 2022, at 3:41 AM, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>
> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The new tree-sitter support is not documented in the emacs manual, only
>> in the elisp one.  Should it be?
>
> To me it seems like the Emacs manual covers broader strokes and
> concepts, while tree-sitter still is "just" an internal implementation
> detail.  I'm not sure exactly where this distinction goes, though.
>
> Theo

I think the plans is to add a section in the Emacs manual. There are some functions and variables intended to be included in the Emacs manual that I left out of the Elisp manual. The Emacs manual should also explain font-lock features.

Yuan

* bug#59627: 29.0.50; tree-sitter support not documented in emacs  manual
@ 2023-01-07 23:00 ` Yuan Fu
From: Yuan Fu @ 2023-01-07 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodor Thornhill; +Cc: 59627-done, stefankangas

Yuan Fu <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

>> On Nov 27, 2022, at 3:41 AM, Theodor Thornhill <theo@thornhill.no> wrote:
>>
>> Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The new tree-sitter support is not documented in the emacs manual, only
>>> in the elisp one.  Should it be?
>>
>> To me it seems like the Emacs manual covers broader strokes and
>> concepts, while tree-sitter still is "just" an internal implementation
>> detail.  I'm not sure exactly where this distinction goes, though.
>>
>> Theo
>
> I think the plans is to add a section in the Emacs manual. There are
> some functions and variables intended to be included in the Emacs
> manual that I left out of the Elisp manual. The Emacs manual should
> also explain font-lock features.

I think there is not need to keep this open as an reminder. IIUC Eli is
working on the Emacs manual. So I’m closing this.

Yuan