all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Imposible to set :weight Light for a font
@ 2022-07-03 22:32 Ypo
From: Ypo @ 2022-07-03 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

Hi

Another noob X file:

I can't set ":weight Light" for a font.

If I set it using the "Menu, Options, Set Default font, Cascadia Mono -
style Light"; the text in the buffer changes correctly;

https://i.postimg.cc/htZ4rL2w/1.jpg

but in the init.el the :family changes into "Cascadia Mono Light".

https://i.postimg.cc/VL3Dbp8H/2.jpg

When restarting, it seems that family "Cascadia Mono Light" doesn't
exist, so the default font family changes by itself into "Frank Ruhl
Hofshi".

In the customization buffer family is "Frank Ruhl Hofshi",

https://i.postimg.cc/y8Kg3yDz/3.jpg

but in the init.el family is "Cascadia Mono Light".

https://i.postimg.cc/XqFqpr3J/4.jpg

If I set in the customization buffer (:family Cascadia Mono :weight
light) the default font in the buffers doesn't acquire the :weight light.

In the init.el it appears :family "Cascadia Mono" :weight light.

In the customization buffer weight goes back to "normal".

https://i.postimg.cc/QxmsSQ6D/5.jpg

Could it be related with light and Light capitalization?

Could it be some kind of curse for using a non free font?

* Imposible to set :weight Light for a font
@ 2022-07-05 15:40 ypuntot
From: ypuntot @ 2022-07-05 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

A noob X file:

[...]

Ypo

* Re: Imposible to set :weight Light for a font
@ 2022-07-05 15:53 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-05 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2022 15:40:10 +0000 (UTC)
> From: ypuntot <ypuntot@gmail.com>
>
> I can't set ":weight Light" for a font.
>

> If I set it using the "Menu, Options, Set Default font, Cascadia Mono - style Light"; the text in the buffer changes correctly;
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/htZ4rL2w/1.jpg
>
> but in the init.el the :family changes into "Cascadia Mono Light".
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/VL3Dbp8H/2.jpg
>
> When restarting, it seems that family "Cascadia Mono Light" doesn't exist, so the default font family changes by itself into "Frank Ruhl Hofshi".
>
> In the customization buffer family is "Frank Ruhl Hofshi",
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/y8Kg3yDz/3.jpg
>
> but in the init.el family is "Cascadia Mono Light".
>
> https://i.postimg.cc/XqFqpr3J/4.jpg

On what OS is this?  If it's MS-Windows, then the 'light' weight is
not really supported, because the Windows API that enumerate fonts of
a given family don't consider 'light' to belong to the family.  They
only recognize 'regular', 'bold', 'italic', and 'bold-italic' as
members of the same font family.

* Re: Imposible to set :weight Light for a font
       [not found] <604bdad0-2633-27c5-05f7-984be2697dbd@serviplast.net>
@ 2022-07-11  2:34 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-11  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 21:27:24 +0200
> From: Kepa Diez <kepa@serviplast.net>
>
> You're right, Eli, I am using Windows.
>
> I am trying installing only the light member of a font family, with no other weight options: I am able to set it in
> the customization menu, but it doesn't work after restarting emacs.
>
> Why a light font can be set manually, but when restarting it is lost? Even if I add it to the end of the init.el, the
> font isn't set.

Like I told you: this weight is not part of the family, as far as
Windows is concerned.

I suggest to use set-face-font in your init.el file.

* Re: Imposible to set :weight Light for a font
       [not found] <2628b9a7-41f5-6572-c5f6-7008610c5e8c@gmail.com>
@ 2022-07-12  2:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2022-07-12  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2022 23:20:31 +0200
> From: Ypo <ypuntot@gmail.com>
>
> Question: How could I've learned by myself that the command from the Menu was "set-face-font"?

It isn't.  Type "C-h c", then select the menu item, and Emacs will say
that it runs the command menu-set-font.