unofficial mirror of help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
@ 2024-01-31 12:19 Steinar Bang
  2024-01-31 17:21 ` Thibaut Verron
  2024-01-31 21:45 ` Howard Melman
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2024-01-31 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?

I'm using markdown-mode right now to edit .md files and I find myself
missing a lot of functionality I have in org-mode.

This is what I'm missing at first edit, but there is probably more that
I can't think about right now:

 1. TAB to open and close trees (including unordered lists and ordered
    lists)
 2. Treating lists similar to headings
 3. Alt-arrow right and Alt-arrow left to switch level of headings and
    list items, and correctly change numbering of ordered lists (C-c
    arrow left and C-c arrow right does part of the work, but not the
    fixing of numbers in ordered lists. Also C-c arrow is a bit more
    clumsy than Alt-arrow but that can be fixed by a custom key
    binding))
    So: changing of numbering in ordered list is what is missing here
 4. Correctly set numbering of ordered lists when using Alt-RET to
    create a new list item
 5. C-, to create a correctly indented code block and C-' to edit the
    content of the code block in a separate buffer

Anyone know of a markown-mode with the above functionality?

Ie. opening and closing of trees (both headings and lists), fixing of
ordered list numbering and editing of code blocks?

First workaround I thought of was to do the edit in org-mode and just
export to markdown, but I have to cooperate with other people who will
edit the .md file and have no idea of what to do with the .org file, so
that's out.

Thanks!


- Steinar



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 12:19 Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode? Steinar Bang
@ 2024-01-31 17:21 ` Thibaut Verron
  2024-01-31 18:34   ` Steinar Bang
  2024-01-31 21:45 ` Howard Melman
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2024-01-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am not familiar with markdown-mode, but from what I can read, as far as
headings are concerned, it already has all you want. The key bindings might
be different, but that is easy to change as you say. It also seems that
code-block edition is already there, with C-c C-s p and C-c ' -- so again,
you just need to rebind to your liking.

For lists, you could see if orgstruct-minor-mode does the trick.
If not, would turning org-mode temporarily, or opening an indirect buffer
in org-mode, be acceptable?

Best wishes,
Thibaut



Le mer. 31 janv. 2024 à 13:20, Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> a écrit :

> Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
>
> I'm using markdown-mode right now to edit .md files and I find myself
> missing a lot of functionality I have in org-mode.
>
> This is what I'm missing at first edit, but there is probably more that
> I can't think about right now:
>
>  1. TAB to open and close trees (including unordered lists and ordered
>     lists)
>  2. Treating lists similar to headings
>  3. Alt-arrow right and Alt-arrow left to switch level of headings and
>     list items, and correctly change numbering of ordered lists (C-c
>     arrow left and C-c arrow right does part of the work, but not the
>     fixing of numbers in ordered lists. Also C-c arrow is a bit more
>     clumsy than Alt-arrow but that can be fixed by a custom key
>     binding))
>     So: changing of numbering in ordered list is what is missing here
>  4. Correctly set numbering of ordered lists when using Alt-RET to
>     create a new list item
>  5. C-, to create a correctly indented code block and C-' to edit the
>     content of the code block in a separate buffer
>
> Anyone know of a markown-mode with the above functionality?
>
> Ie. opening and closing of trees (both headings and lists), fixing of
> ordered list numbering and editing of code blocks?
>
> First workaround I thought of was to do the edit in org-mode and just
> export to markdown, but I have to cooperate with other people who will
> edit the .md file and have no idea of what to do with the .org file, so
> that's out.
>
> Thanks!
>
>
> - Steinar
>
>


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 17:21 ` Thibaut Verron
@ 2024-01-31 18:34   ` Steinar Bang
  2024-01-31 19:40     ` Thibaut Verron
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2024-01-31 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>>>> Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>:

> I am not familiar with markdown-mode, but from what I can read, as far as
> headings are concerned, it already has all you want.

Yes, but what I'm missing is that it also works for lists.

My fingers keep expecting TAB to fold and unfold lists and my head keeps
getting surprised when the list item is indented instead.

> The key bindings might be different, but that is easy to change as you
> say. It also seems that code-block edition is already there, with C-c
> C-s p and C-c ' -- so again, you just need to rebind to your liking.

Yes... but that code fragment is based on indentation instead of
backtick marking (which seems to be the "modern" markdown way of doing
it...? I'm no markdown expert)

> For lists, you could see if orgstruct-minor-mode does the trick.
> If not, would turning org-mode temporarily, or opening an indirect buffer
> in org-mode, be acceptable?

Not sure I understand how either of the two are supposed to work, so
hard to say if they would be acceptable or not...? :-)

Will they give the feeling of editing the lists in the markdown document
or will I have to switch out of in of a different buffer like for code
editing.

If the latter, then "not acceptable" feels too harsh, but maybe
something like "not exactly what I was looking for"...:-)



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 18:34   ` Steinar Bang
@ 2024-01-31 19:40     ` Thibaut Verron
  2024-02-01  8:13       ` Steinar Bang
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2024-01-31 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steinar Bang; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed 31 Jan 2024, 19:35 Steinar Bang, <sb@dod.no> wrote:

> >>>>> Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>:
>
> > I am not familiar with markdown-mode, but from what I can read, as far as
> > headings are concerned, it already has all you want.
>
> Yes, but what I'm missing is that it also works for lists.
>
> My fingers keep expecting TAB to fold and unfold lists and my head keeps
> getting surprised when the list item is indented instead.
>
> > The key bindings might be different, but that is easy to change as you
> > say. It also seems that code-block edition is already there, with C-c
> > C-s p and C-c ' -- so again, you just need to rebind to your liking.
>
> Yes... but that code fragment is based on indentation instead of
> backtick marking (which seems to be the "modern" markdown way of doing
> it...? I'm no markdown expert)
>

It seems to be C-c C-s C for that.


> > For lists, you could see if orgstruct-minor-mode does the trick.
> > If not, would turning org-mode temporarily, or opening an indirect buffer
> > in org-mode, be acceptable?
>
> Not sure I understand how either of the two are supposed to work, so
> hard to say if they would be acceptable or not...? :-)



> Will they give the feeling of editing the lists in the markdown document
> or will I have to switch out of in of a different buffer like for code
> editing.
>

My understanding is that with orgstruct, everything should "just work" as
if it was org-mode, as long as the point is on the first line of a list
item. It should also be easy to try, just turn on the minor mode in a
markdown-mode and see if it feels natural.

With org-mode, it would be toggling between modes or toggling between
buffers. But not quite like code editing, as you would still have the
context around.

But come to think of it, it would only work for edition commands, not for
visibility -- those effects would be reverted when switching back to
markdown-mode or to the original buffer. :/

Best wishes,
Thibaut


^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 12:19 Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode? Steinar Bang
  2024-01-31 17:21 ` Thibaut Verron
@ 2024-01-31 21:45 ` Howard Melman
  2024-02-01  8:08   ` Steinar Bang
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: Howard Melman @ 2024-01-31 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs


Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>  3. Alt-arrow right and Alt-arrow left to switch level of headings and
>     list items, and correctly change numbering of ordered lists (C-c
>     arrow left and C-c arrow right does part of the work, but not the
>     fixing of numbers in ordered lists. Also C-c arrow is a bit more
>     clumsy than Alt-arrow but that can be fixed by a custom key
>     binding))
>     So: changing of numbering in ordered list is what is missing here

FWIW, markdown-mode has C-c C-c n
(markdown-cleanup-list-numbers).

Maybe you want to add advice to some commands to call it afterwards?

-- 

Howard




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 21:45 ` Howard Melman
@ 2024-02-01  8:08   ` Steinar Bang
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2024-02-01  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>>>> Howard Melman <hmelman@gmail.com>:

> FWIW, markdown-mode has C-c C-c n
> (markdown-cleanup-list-numbers).

Thanks!

> Maybe you want to add advice to some commands to call it afterwards?

Hm... I can try and see how it ends.

(Note to googlers: I'll post any config changes I end up with on this
thread somewhere)



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

* Re: Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode?
  2024-01-31 19:40     ` Thibaut Verron
@ 2024-02-01  8:13       ` Steinar Bang
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: Steinar Bang @ 2024-02-01  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>>>> Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com>:

>> Yes... but that code fragment is based on indentation instead of
>> backtick marking (which seems to be the "modern" markdown way of doing
>> it...? I'm no markdown expert)

> It seems to be C-c C-s C for that.

Nice! Thanks!

(indentation on the result seems a little off but much less to fix up here)

>> Will they give the feeling of editing the lists in the markdown document
>> or will I have to switch out of in of a different buffer like for code
>> editing.

> My understanding is that with orgstruct, everything should "just work"
> as if it was org-mode, as long as the point is on the first line of a
> list item. It should also be easy to try, just turn on the minor mode
> in a markdown-mode and see if it feels natural.

Ok! Thanks! orgstruct definitely seems like something to try. I will
report back here on this thread.

> With org-mode, it would be toggling between modes or toggling between
> buffers. But not quite like code editing, as you would still have the
> context around.

> But come to think of it, it would only work for edition commands, not for
> visibility -- those effects would be reverted when switching back to
> markdown-mode or to the original buffer. :/

Yes. :-/

But orgstruct seems promising.

Thanks!



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2024-02-01  8:13 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2024-01-31 12:19 Is there a markdown-mode similar to org-mode? Steinar Bang
2024-01-31 17:21 ` Thibaut Verron
2024-01-31 18:34   ` Steinar Bang
2024-01-31 19:40     ` Thibaut Verron
2024-02-01  8:13       ` Steinar Bang
2024-01-31 21:45 ` Howard Melman
2024-02-01  8:08   ` Steinar Bang

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).