* Region selection that keeps syntax highlighting colour
@ 2022-10-25 23:53 Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-25 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

When I select a region, the colour of the text terns white.  Can one keep the original
syntax highlighting colour of code intact, whilst changing the background colour only?

* Re: Region selection that keeps syntax highlighting colour
@ 2022-10-26  1:23 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-26  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Heime wrote:

> When I select a region, the colour of the text terns white.
> Can one keep the original syntax highlighting colour of code
> intact, whilst changing the background colour only?

Yes, it's the `region' face, set the foreground to nil then
set the background.

There's something going on ... ?

But just play with it until it looks good!
--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Region selection that keeps syntax highlighting colour
@ 2022-10-26  8:00 ` Daniel Martín
From: Daniel Martín @ 2022-10-26  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> When I select a region, the colour of the text terns white.  Can one keep the original
> syntax highlighting colour of code intact, whilst changing the background colour only?

M-x customize-face region RET

Make sure that the "region" face doesn't have a foreground color.

* Re: Region selection that keeps syntax highlighting colour
@ 2022-10-26  8:16   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-26  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel Martín wrote:

>> When I select a region, the colour of the text terns white.
>> Can one keep the original syntax highlighting colour of
>> code intact, whilst changing the background colour only?
>
> M-x customize-face region RET
>
> Make sure that the "region" face doesn't have
> a foreground color.

The OP isn't suspectible to custom, here

(set-face-attribute face nil :foreground fg
                             :background bg
                             :weight     bold) )

HTH

--

@ 2022-10-26 16:17     ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-26 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > > When I select a region, the colour of the text terns white.
> > > Can one keep the original syntax highlighting colour of
> > > code intact, whilst changing the background colour only?
> >
> > M-x customize-face region RET
> >
> > Make sure that the "region" face doesn't have
> > a foreground color.
>

> The OP isn't suspectible to custom, here
>
> (set-face-attribute face nil :foreground fg
> :background bg
> :weight bold) )

I have this

(set-face-attribute 'region nil :background "#2E2EFF")