* eww bookmarks being purged to 10 items
@ 2022-11-10  2:24 Jerry Sievers
From: Jerry Sievers @ 2022-11-10  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings!

Emacs 28.1 MacPort.

Per $subject, I have no clue what's causing the limitation nor did I
find a custom setting to determine max length of the file.

What's odd, is that it will let me add a bunch of new bookmarks and for
a $while they show up, but then oops!  A bunch'o the older additions
drop away and it says "nil nil" at the bottom of the bookmark buffer
view.

Any enlightenment very much appreciated.

Thx

* Re: eww bookmarks being purged to 10 items
@ 2022-11-11  1:38 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-11-11  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net> writes:

> Emacs 28.1 MacPort.
>
> Per $subject, I have no clue what's causing the limitation nor did I
> find a custom setting to determine max length of the file.
>
> What's odd, is that it will let me add a bunch of new bookmarks and for
> a $while they show up, but then oops!  A bunch'o the older additions
> drop away and it says "nil nil" at the bottom of the bookmark buffer
> view.

Dunno about MacPort, but the behavior is not normal.

In vanilla Emacs eww's own bookmarks are stored in

  (expand-file-name "eww-bookmarks" eww-bookmarks-directory)

Maybe you can watch how that file develops and see what happens when
working with bookmarks?  And when loos happens?

There could be a problem withz printing the bookmarks, but it could be
anything...please try to investigate more.

Michael.

* Re: eww bookmarks being purged to 10 items
@ 2022-11-11  5:02   ` Jerry Sievers
From: Jerry Sievers @ 2022-11-11  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Jerry Sievers <gsievers19@comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Emacs 28.1 MacPort.
>>
>> Per $subject, I have no clue what's causing the limitation nor did I
>> find a custom setting to determine max length of the file.
>>
>> What's odd, is that it will let me add a bunch of new bookmarks and for
>> a $while they show up, but then oops!  A bunch'o the older additions
>> drop away and it says "nil nil" at the bottom of the bookmark buffer
>> view.
>
> Dunno about MacPort, but the behavior is not normal.
>
> In vanilla Emacs eww's own bookmarks are stored in
>
>   (expand-file-name "eww-bookmarks" eww-bookmarks-directory)
>
> Maybe you can watch how that file develops and see what happens when
> working with bookmarks?  And when loos happens?
>
> There could be a problem withz printing the bookmarks, but it could be
> anything...please try to investigate more.
Yup, will do.

I cruised the eww.el source code today without making a relevant
discovery.

I'll post back with findings if and when.

Maybe another one in here  will have an idea also.

Thx!