* Updating information in the mode-line
@ 2022-10-25 12:06 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2022-10-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Is it possible to update the printing text in the mode-line, without leaving
a long list of printed text in the *Messages* buffer?  What I have in mind is
the possibility of having a progress indicator on status message for emacs
processes that can take some serious time to complete.

* Re: Updating information in the mode-line
@ 2022-10-25 13:08 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-10-25 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Is it possible to update the printing text in the mode-line, without leaving
> a long list of printed text in the *Messages* buffer?

Of course, but maybe I misunderstand the question, because AFAIK it's
rather unusual for text from the mode-line (or changes to it) to appear
in `*Messages*`.

> What I have in mind is the possibility of having a progress indicator
> on status message for Emacs processes that can take some serious time
> to complete.

We usually use `(make-)progress-reporter(-update|-done)`
for that.

* RE: [External] : Updating information in the mode-line
@ 2022-10-25 16:02 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-10-25 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech, Help Gnu Emacs

> Is it possible to update the printing text in the mode-line, without leaving
> a long list of printed text in the *Messages* buffer?  What I have in mind is
> the possibility of having a progress indicator on status message for emacs
> processes that can take some serious time to complete.

Do you perhaps mean echo area instead of mode-line?
If so, just bind `message-log-max' to nil around
your calls to `message'.

* RE: [External] : Updating information in the mode-line
@ 2022-10-25 17:36   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-10-25 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, Help Gnu Emacs

> > Is it possible to update the printing text in the mode-line, without leaving
> > a long list of printed text in the Messages buffer? What I have in mind is
> > the possibility of having a progress indicator on status message for emacs
> > processes that can take some serious time to complete.
>

> Do you perhaps mean echo area instead of mode-line?
> If so, just bind `message-log-max' to nil around your calls to` message'.

You are right actually, the echo area.  When I call message the last line
is shown as if I am using the minibuffer prompt.