* Understanding font-lock
@ 2022-12-08 15:36 Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-08 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I am finding the use of font-lock too complicated.  When I make a new buffer and apply `text-mode` or `org-mode`, `font-lock` in enabled and can print text with colour using `font-lock-face`.

But when I do not set the mode of the buffer, I get `fundamental-mode` automatically.  What should I use to print in a new buffer?

Cannot really understand what `font-lock` is about.  Does it have to be enabled to print in colour?

* Re: Understanding font-lock
@ 2022-12-09 13:39 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-12-09 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am finding the use of font-lock too complicated.  When I make a new buffer
> and apply `text-mode` or `org-mode`, `font-lock` in enabled and can print
> text with colour using `font-lock-face`.

I don't know what you mean by "print".

> Cannot really understand what `font-lock` is about.  Does it have to
> be enabled to print in colour?

I suggest you describe in more detail what it is you're trying to do and
the specific problem you encounter when you do it.