* Memory-efficient way of opening large files in Emacs read-only
@ 2022-12-08  2:49 Mikhail Pomaznoy
From: Mikhail Pomaznoy @ 2022-12-08  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Greetings!

In my daily workflows I commonly stumble upon a task of peeking into a
header of a large (sometimes compressed) file. Those files can commonly
be gigabytes in compressed form so can't fit into memory. I was
wondering how can this be done in Emacs to leverage its search and
navigate capabilities?

In a terminal this task is nicely accomplished with `less`, which loads
file on demand while you scroll (memory-efficiently) and automatically
detects at least gzip compression. However I am struggling to do
something similar in Emacs for quite a long time.  I tried VLF (requires
manually switching chunks loaded, encountered problems with
compression), view-file (loads everything in memory), running less in
Emacs terminals (I prefer outside-Emacs terminals) but for various
reasons all this solutions are suboptimal and I usually end up with
using `less`.

Is there something in Emacs I am missing? Is something like this makes
sense to develop (I consider to write something for Emacs) ? I am using
Emacs 28 and maybe in Emacs 29 there are novelties related to this issue?

Kind regards,

Mikhail