* dired+ warning
@ 2022-11-25 22:27 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2022-11-25 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: MLEmacs

on GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20,
cairo version 1.16.0)
I get the following message:

.emacs.d/elisp/dired+.el: Warning: ‘case’ is an obsolete alias (as of
27.1); use ‘cl-case’ instead. [5 times]

the version of dired+ is identified by
;; Version: 2022.11.04
;; Package-Requires: ()
;; Last-Updated: Thu Nov  3 21:01:19 2022 (-0700)

I'm retired and use emacs just on occasion. I don't think this is a big
deal, but I know
that Drew is always on top of changes, so I thought I would mention it.

--
Tim
tj49.com

* RE: [External] : dired+ warning
@ 2022-11-26  0:17 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-11-26  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Johnson, MLEmacs

> on GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
> GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
> I get the following message:
>
> .emacs.d/elisp/dired+.el: Warning: ‘case’ is an
> obsolete alias (as of 27.1); use ‘cl-case’ instead.
> [5 times]
>
> I'm retired and use emacs just on occasion. I don't think
> this is a big deal, but I know that Drew is always on top
> of changes, so I thought I would mention it.

Hi Tim,

Congratulations on your retirement!

You should be able to ignore that warning, for now
at least.  I think you could also put something
like this in your init file to suppress it, if you
care to: (defalias 'case 'cl-case)

(Same thing, BTW, for others of my libraries,
including Bookmark+, Info+, Isearch+, & Icicles.)

Many of my libraries work also for older Emacs
releases (see field "Compatibility" in the file
header's "Commentary").  Depending on which
release you use, you'll likely see byte-compiler
warnings about vars or functions not known to be
defined, or function invocations with the wrong
number of args.  You can generally ignore such
warnings,  which come from conditional code with
branches for different releases, etc.

* Re: [External] : dired+ warning
@ 2022-11-26 14:56   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

> You can generally ignore such warnings, which come from
> conditional code with branches for different releases, etc.

But we don't want to ignore them, we want you to fix them :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* RE: [External] : dired+ warning
@ 2022-11-26 15:57     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-11-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > You can generally ignore such warnings, which come from
> > conditional code with branches for different releases, etc.
>
> But we don't want to ignore them, we want you to fix them :)

Emacs is the DIY tool par excellence.  And free.

* Re: [External] : dired+ warning
@ 2022-11-26 20:08   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2022-11-26 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, MLEmacs

On 11/25/22 3:17 PM, Drew Adams wrote:
>> on GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu,
>> GTK+ Version 3.24.20, cairo version 1.16.0)
>> I get the following message:
>>
>> .emacs.d/elisp/dired+.el: Warning: ‘case’ is an
>> obsolete alias (as of 27.1); use ‘cl-case’ instead.
>> [5 times]
>>
>> I'm retired and use emacs just on occasion. I don't think
>> this is a big deal, but I know that Drew is always on top
>> of changes, so I thought I would mention it.
> Hi Tim,
>
> Congratulations on your retirement!
>
> You should be able to ignore that warning, for now
> at least.  I think you could also put something
> like this in your init file to suppress it, if you
> care to: (defalias 'case 'cl-case)
>
> (Same thing, BTW, for others of my libraries,
> including Bookmark+, Info+, Isearch+, & Icicles.)
>
> Many of my libraries work also for older Emacs
> releases (see field "Compatibility" in the file
> header's "Commentary").  Depending on which
> release you use, you'll likely see byte-compiler
> warnings about vars or functions not known to be
> defined, or function invocations with the wrong
> number of args.  You can generally ignore such
> warnings,  which come from conditional code with
> branches for different releases, etc.
Thanks Drew!

--
Tim