From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Building Emacs out of source tree?
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:54:21 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello, Emacs

after a while, I'm trying again to pick up the custom of
compiling Emacs.

Usually, I compiled in an empty build directory, invoking
../emacs/configure.

This used to work pretty well but doesn't seem to these
days. I hit two-and-a-half snags:

- one missing chartab.o which happened to lie around
  in the source dir under src; copying it over to the
  corresponding spot in the build dir let the build
  continue
- one missing symbol rpl_chmodat; this gets defined in
  some header -- sneaking a strategically placed

    #undef rpl_chmodat

  let the build process continue (and now comes te half
  snag: pdump dumped core -- that's what you get for
  messing with things you only half-understand :)

Building in-source Just Works and produces an installable
Emacs which, prima vista behaves in a civilised manner.

It's a recent git pull, off the "master" branch:

  7a0f4de3c18 (HEAD -> master) Improve C++ standard library detection on Android

Now I'd be willing to gather more details for a bug report if
there is an interest in keeping out of source tree compiles
viable; for me those aren't that crucial anymore, with the
advent of git and of 1TB+ disks.

What do you think? Do we still care for out of source builds?

Cheers
--
tomás