Hello, Emacs after a while, I'm trying again to pick up the custom of compiling Emacs. Usually, I compiled in an empty build directory, invoking ../emacs/configure. This used to work pretty well but doesn't seem to these days. I hit two-and-a-half snags: - one missing chartab.o which happened to lie around in the source dir under src; copying it over to the corresponding spot in the build dir let the build continue - one missing symbol rpl_chmodat; this gets defined in some header -- sneaking a strategically placed #undef rpl_chmodat let the build process continue (and now comes te half snag: pdump dumped core -- that's what you get for messing with things you only half-understand :) Building in-source Just Works and produces an installable Emacs which, prima vista behaves in a civilised manner. It's a recent git pull, off the "master" branch: 7a0f4de3c18 (HEAD -> master) Improve C++ standard library detection on Android Now I'd be willing to gather more details for a bug report if there is an interest in keeping out of source tree compiles viable; for me those aren't that crucial anymore, with the advent of git and of 1TB+ disks. What do you think? Do we still care for out of source builds? Cheers -- tomás