* lunar new year in calendar
@ 2024-02-11 11:06 Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-02-11 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I want calendar to display the Chinese new year. I put this into
~/.emacs without any luck

  (setq holiday-other-holidays
   '((holiday-chinese month day "Chinese New Year")))

It would be nice if the string Chinse New Year would include the
character for the symbol for tha year such as 龙 or 龍 for dragon.

--

     Haines Brown

* Re: lunar new year in calendar
@ 2024-02-11 11:23 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-02-11 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: Haines Brown

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I want calendar to display the Chinese new year. I put this into
> ~/.emacs without any luck
>
>   (setq holiday-other-holidays
>    '((holiday-chinese month day "Chinese New Year")))

This feature already exists, no configuration required.  Open Calendar
and type `a'; a window should be displayed containing:

Monday, January 1, 2024: New Year's Day
Monday, January 15, 2024: Martin Luther King Day
Friday, February 2, 2024: Groundhog Day
Saturday, February 10, 2024: Chinese New Year (Jia-Chen)
Wednesday, February 14, 2024: Ash Wednesday
Wednesday, February 14, 2024: Valentine's Day
Monday, February 19, 2024: President's Day
Monday, March 11, 2024: Ramadan Begins
Sunday, March 17, 2024: St. Patrick's Day
Wednesday, March 20, 2024: Vernal Equinox 11:06am (CST)
Thursday, March 21, 2024: Bahá’í New Year (Naw-Ruz) 181
Friday, March 29, 2024: Good Friday
Sunday, March 31, 2024: Easter Sunday

> It would be nice if the string Chinse New Year would include the
> character for the symbol for tha year such as 龙 or 龍 for dragon.

Patches welcome, provided that the feature is optional.  I would rather
the holiday window confine itself to Latin text by default.

* Re: lunar new year in calendar
@ 2024-02-11 15:50   ` Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-02-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 07:23:18PM +0800, Po Lu wrote:
> Haines Brown via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > I want calendar to display the Chinese new year. I put this into
> > ~/.emacs without any luck
> >
> >   (setq holiday-other-holidays
> >    '((holiday-chinese month day "Chinese New Year")))
>
> This feature already exists, no configuration required.  Open Calendar
> and type `a'; a window should be displayed containing:

Sorry I was not clearer. I meant the holiday would be displayed every
year, not just what the date happens to be this year.
--

     Haines Brown