* Using emacs 'with-poll'
@ 2023-10-05 23:19 Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-10-05 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an M1 mbp.

Where is the discussion of this feature? Is it supposed to be a 'drop in'
replacement for poll() in emacs?

I don't see a difference except when using CIDER and Clojure, when I see
the connection seem to hang. I've emailed the original contributor,
but haven't gotten a reply yet. Does anyone know about this feature?

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'My other computer is your Windows box.'

* Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'
@ 2023-10-06  5:02 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-06  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:19:37 +0000
> From:  Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an M1 mbp.

Is this a branch of the Emacs Git repository on Savannah?  If so, what
is its name?

* Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'
@ 2023-10-06  6:45   ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2023-10-06  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:19:37 +0000
>> From: Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
>> editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an M1 mbp.
>
> Is this a branch of the Emacs Git repository on Savannah?  If so, what
> is its name?

The branch name is feature/more-fds.

* Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'
@ 2023-10-06 10:16 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-10-06 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Jonathon McKitrick

    Jonathon> I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an M1 mbp.
    Jonathon> Where is the discussion of this feature? Is it supposed to be a 'drop in'
    Jonathon> replacement for poll() in emacs?

Itʼs supposed to be a drop in replacement for 'select' to get around
its 1024 open file descriptors limitation which can bite hard
(especially on macOS).

    Jonathon> I don't see a difference except when using CIDER and Clojure, when I see
    Jonathon> the connection seem to hang. I've emailed the original contributor,
    Jonathon> but haven't gotten a reply yet. Does anyone know about this feature?

Iʼm guessing CIDER uses subprocesses, which need some further work in
the branch.

Iʼm rebasing the branch onto 'master' and testing it again. Ping me in
a week (although here is not really the right list to talk about
Emacs feature development, we have emacs-devel for that).

Robert

* Re: Using emacs 'with-poll'
@ 2023-10-06 13:49   ` Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-10-06 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 06, 2023 at 12:16:53PM +0200, Robert Pluim wrote:
: >>>>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 23:19:37 +0000, Jonathon McKitrick via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> said:
:
:     Jonathon> I'm experimenting with the 'with-poll' branch of emacs 30 on an M1 mbp.
:     Jonathon> Where is the discussion of this feature? Is it supposed to be a 'drop in'
:     Jonathon> replacement for poll() in emacs?
:
: It??s supposed to be a drop in replacement for 'select' to get around

Oops, typo, I meant 'select()' not 'poll()'.

: its 1024 open file descriptors limitation which can bite hard
: (especially on macOS).
:
:     Jonathon> I don't see a difference except when using CIDER and Clojure, when I see
:     Jonathon> the connection seem to hang. I've emailed the original contributor,
:     Jonathon> but haven't gotten a reply yet. Does anyone know about this feature?
:
: I??m guessing CIDER uses subprocesses, which need some further work in
: the branch.

Yes, that makes sense.

:
: I??m rebasing the branch onto 'master' and testing it again. Ping me in
: a week (although here is not really the right list to talk about
: Emacs feature development, we have emacs-devel for that).

Will do. I've started a thread on emacs-devel.

Jonathon McKitrick
--
'My other computer is your Windows box.'