From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
To: Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com>
Cc: Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com>,
	"'Help-Gnu-Emacs (help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org)'"
	<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [External] : Make new buffer from menu
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2022 15:36:17 +0300	[thread overview]

* Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-03 21:45]:
> Using Emacs is like working on ice.  It is extremely dangerous.  Can
> you imagine landing on a runway that is technically floating,
> unstable, and unpredictable.

Is it really? I understand your position.

Though for me Emacs can be unsafe only if my data get lost.

If it is not aborting and dropping core, then it is pretty safe
editor.

Now even if it crushes, normally Emacs will retain the unsaved file on
the file system, it is pretty safe and user does not need to lose
data.

I remember 1999, it was often not stable, aborting, crushing,
depending of version. I have been using various versions at that time.

My Emacs usage does not fall really in common editing, I do
multi-company accounting and people relationship management, handling
SMS messages, XMPP communication with teams of people, initiate phone
calls and market worldwide by Emacs.

As Richard Stallman said, Emacs is editor to edit any kind of data, it
is not only about text files. Why not edit file names and directories?
That is what Dired does. Anything that has letters and symbols is for
editing.  It also includes editing of images. It displays images,
flips them, do some simple editing, then in the development version
can crop images, and save me time spanning external programs.

> > Rather, maybe assume that you're not the first user to think of
> > the usefulness of making a new buffer without saving it, and
> > suppose that maybe Emacs is already providing you with a way to do
> > what you are quick to claim "cannot" be done.
>
> An ice strip on a frozen lake can be hard to spot from the air.
> We need some proper markers.  "Select Named Buffer" is not a proper
> marker.  If we cannot see how far the ground is away, we need a good
> reference.  Forget about the "Ask Emacs" mantra.

The Emacs Editor
****************

Emacs is the advanced, extensible, customizable, self-documenting
editor.  This manual describes how to edit with Emacs and some of the
ways to customize it; it corresponds to GNU Emacs version 30.0.50.

It is self-documenting. Most of features you are asking are already
programming features. So what I do is {C-h r} or {C-h r TAB RET} as by
latter I get into Emacs Lisp manual and I find many things.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman