* Adding messages to the *Message* buffer?
@ 2022-10-24  3:39 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2022-10-24  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that would allow me
to print a message to the *Message* buffer?  I want to use it to help me
debug my .emacs -- basically, tell me what step in startup Emacs is at
by sprinkling this command in my .emacs.

--
David Masterson

* Re: Adding messages to the *Message* buffer?
@ 2022-10-24  4:58 ` Christopher Dimech
> Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that would allow me
> to print a message to the *Message* buffer?  I want to use it to help me
> debug my .emacs -- basically, tell me what step in startup Emacs is at
> by sprinkling this command in my .emacs.
>
> --
> David Masterson

(message "Val: %s" varstring)
(message "Number: %d" n)
(message "%S" symbol)

* Re: Adding messages to the *Message* buffer?
@ 2022-10-24  4:59 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-10-24  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Masterson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 08:39:44PM -0700, David Masterson wrote:
> Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that would allow me
> to print a message to the *Message* buffer?  I want to use it to help me
> debug my .emacs -- basically, tell me what step in startup Emacs is at
> by sprinkling this command in my .emacs.

  (message "this is the % time it rains today" count)

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Adding messages to the *Message* buffer?
@ 2022-10-24 21:01   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-24 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

>> Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that
>> would allow me to print a message to the *Message* buffer?
>> I want to use it to help me debug my .emacs -- basically,
>> tell me what step in startup Emacs is at by sprinkling this
>> command in my .emacs.
>
>   (message "this is the % time it rains today" count)

Typo, should be %d ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Adding messages to the *Message* buffer?
@ 2022-10-25  3:38   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2022-10-25  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> writes:

>> From: "David Masterson" <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>>
>> Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that would allow me
>> to print a message to the *Message* buffer?  I want to use it to help me
>> debug my .emacs -- basically, tell me what step in startup Emacs is at
>> by sprinkling this command in my .emacs.
>
> (message "Val: %s" varstring)
> (message "Number: %d" n)
> (message "%S" symbol)

Thank you

--

@ 2022-10-25  3:58     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-25  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson wrote:

>>> Is there a simple command I could add to my .emacs that
>>> would allow me to print a message to the *Message* buffer?
>>> I want to use it to help me debug my .emacs -- basically,
>>> tell me what step in startup Emacs is at by sprinkling
>>> this command in my .emacs.
>>
>> (message "Val: %s" varstring)
>> (message "Number: %d" n)
>> (message "%S" symbol)
>
> Thank you

Actually you can use %s for "any object, with `princ'" as the
docstring for `format' says, all of that can also be used with
`message' ...

--

@ 2022-10-25  9:37     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-10-25  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)