* remove all my added face text properties?
@ 2022-10-31  2:57 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-10-31  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i set face properties in a roughly as follows:

(defun highlight-1 (extent)
             (let ((p (point)))
               ;; fixme what do we do to =remove= all of these
               ;; added face properties in the buffer?  we need
               ;; to do that when re-running this function to not
               ;; keep the old stuff around.
               ;;
               ;; get-text-property but we need to get all?
               ;; set-text-properties start end face?
               (add-face-text-property p (+ extent p) '(:inverse-video t))))

what does one do to keep all the text properties, including face text
properties, in the buffer, as they were before i first highlighted
anyghing, while at the same time removing the face properties i added?
 thank you.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: remove all my added face text properties?
@ 2022-10-31  4:36 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-31  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> [2022-10-31 05:58]:
> i set face properties in a roughly as follows:
>
> (defun highlight-1 (extent)
>              (let ((p (point)))
>                ;; fixme what do we do to =remove= all of these
>                ;; added face properties in the buffer?  we need
>                ;; to do that when re-running this function to not
>                ;; keep the old stuff around.
>                ;;
>                ;; get-text-property but we need to get all?
>                ;; set-text-properties start end face?
>                (add-face-text-property p (+ extent p) '(:inverse-video t))))
>
> what does one do to keep all the text properties, including face text
> properties, in the buffer, as they were before i first highlighted
> anyghing, while at the same time removing the face properties i added?
>  thank you.

This function will take buffer text without properties and insert it
again. This will most probably remove your properties, and then
because of major mode again highlight whatever was highlighted.

(defun rcd-buffer-remove-properties (&optional text)
  "Remove all properties for TEXT, otherwise buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let* ((buffer-or-text (if text nil t))
	 (text (if buffer-or-text (buffer-substring-no-properties (point-min) (point-max)) text))
	 (point (point)))
    (erase-buffer)
    (insert text)
    (goto-char point)))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: remove all my added face text properties?
@ 2022-10-31 11:30   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-10-31 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jean Louis wrote:

> (if text nil t)

(not text)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: remove all my added face text properties?
@ 2022-10-31 18:23     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-10-31 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2022-10-31 16:19]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> > (if text nil t)
>
> (not text)

OK good

--

@ 2022-11-03  5:04   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-11-03  5:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, help-gnu-emacs

your idea is that magit will add its face properties again?  would
that be using normal-mode or somehing?