* Can Emacs save a file to more than one place at the same time?
@ 2023-02-28 11:23 Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-02-28 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I'd like to have more than one copy of the exact same file.  It would be
best if I could just edit a buffer and hit `C-x C-s` to get its contents
saved to more than one file.  I'm almost sure there is no such thing in
core Emacs, and I think coding this myself would be pretty easy (the
most difficult part would be obviously the UI).  But maybe someone
already did it and there's a package for that?

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: Can Emacs save a file to more than one place at the same time?
@ 2023-02-28 12:17 ` Thibaut Verron
From: Thibaut Verron @ 2023-02-28 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any reason why using links would not be practical in your
workflow?

Best wishes,

Thibaut

@ 2023-02-28 13:45   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2023-02-28 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2023-02-28, at 13:17, Thibaut Verron <thibaut.verron@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any reason why using links would not be practical in your
> workflow?

Good point, I didn't think about links.  Still, they would be of no use
to me, since my imagined use-case involves editing files on different
machines (via TRAMP).

Best,

--

@ 2023-02-28 13:52     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2023-02-28 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Is there any reason why using links would not be practical in your
>> workflow?
>
> Good point, I didn't think about links.  Still, they would be of no use
> to me, since my imagined use-case involves editing files on different
> machines (via TRAMP).

Likely, shadowfile.el is what you look for.

> Best,

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Can Emacs save a file to more than one place at the same time?
@ 2023-02-28 14:46       ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2023-02-28 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs