* viper and the minibuffer text color
@ 2022-11-04 16:12 Andrés Ramírez
From: Andrés Ramírez @ 2022-11-04 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi.

I am trying viper.

When I do:
TERM=xterm-256color emacs -Q -nw --eval "(run-at-time nil nil #'call-interactively 'execute-extended-command)"

colors in the minibuffer are showed as it should be.

But If I do:
TERM=xterm-256color emacs -Q -nw --eval "(progn (setq viper-mode t) (setq viper-inhibit-startup-message 't) (setq viper-expert-level '1) (require 'viper)(run-at-time nil nil #'call-interactively 'execute-extended-command))"

then the minibuffer text color is affected. How Could I restore the
minibuffer color as it should be?.

Is that a bug?

[-- Attachment #2: as_it_should_be --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24476 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: changed_by_viper --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 24807 bytes --]

Best Regards

* Re: viper and the minibuffer text color
@ 2022-11-05 11:54 ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2022-11-05 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi.  I am trying viper.

> When I do:

> TERM=xterm-256color emacs -Q -nw --eval "(run-at-time nil nil
> #'call-interactively 'execute-extended-command)"

> colors in the minibuffer are showed as it should be.

> But If I do:

> TERM=xterm-256color emacs -Q -nw --eval "(progn (setq viper-mode t) (setq
> viper-inhibit-startup-message 't) (setq viper-expert-level '1) (require
> 'viper)(run-at-time nil nil #'call-interactively 'execute-extended-command))"

> then the minibuffer text color is affected. How Could I restore the
> minibuffer color as it should be?.

> Is that a bug?

Hi Andrés!

No, it's not a bug.  You activated Viper and GNU Emacs behaves accordingly ;-)

Viper indicates in which vi/viper state it is in by visual feedback.  The
"pink" you're seeing is `viper-minibuffer-insert-face', the face used in
`viper-minibuffer-insert' which is the---quoting from the documentation---"Face
used in the Minibuffer when it is in Insert state".  You could customize
`viper-minibuffer-insert' if you want to change it.  (Which I wouldn't do until
being so familiar with Viper and the reasoning behind it to make an informed
decision.)

Hope this helps,
Toto

--
Sent from my GNU Emacs running on GNU/Linux

* Re: viper and the minibuffer text color
@ 2022-11-05 14:01   ` andrés ramírez
From: andrés ramírez @ 2022-11-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thorsten Bonow; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi. Thorsten.
My comments below.

[...]

    Thorsten> No, it's not a bug.  You activated Viper and GNU Emacs behaves accordingly ;-)

Ok. That is good to know. The reason I am asking is because evil-mode does not change that
face.

    Thorsten> Viper indicates in which vi/viper state it is in by visual feedback.  The "pink"
    Thorsten> you're seeing is `viper-minibuffer-insert-face', the face used in
    Thorsten> `viper-minibuffer-insert' which is the---quoting from the documentation---"Face used
    Thorsten> in the Minibuffer when it is in Insert state".  You could customize
    Thorsten> `viper-minibuffer-insert' if you want to change it.  (Which I wouldn't do until being
    Thorsten> so familiar with Viper and the reasoning behind it to make an informed decision.)

As I came from evil. Some evil users had found a different way of detecting the
states. It involves the funct (which changes the modeline color):
| (add-hook 'post-command-hook 'do--change-mode-line-color-by-viper-state)
`----

I am sharing my complete viper setup(JIC):
https://termbin.com/zzfu

    Thorsten> Hope this helps, Toto

Yes. It helps. Thanks.

Best Regards