unofficial mirror of help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
* mark multi regions, kill and yank
@ 2023-10-30 16:02 Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 17:11 ` Bob Newell
  2023-10-30 17:32 ` [External] : " Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 2 replies; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-30 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi 

I am looking for a package that allows me 

    1. to mark several regions,

    2. To kill them

    3. And then later to yank everything.

I have tried https://github.com/wence-/elisp/blob/master/multi-region.el
which does 1+2 but not 3.

Then I via the package system I found 
mark-multiple
multiple-cursors

But these look very complicated do a lot of things but it seems to me not 1-3

Anybody has an idea?

Thanks 

Uwe Brauer 
-- 
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas terroristic attack on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 16:02 mark multi regions, kill and yank Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-30 17:11 ` Bob Newell
  2023-10-30 17:56   ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 17:32 ` [External] : " Drew Adams
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2023-10-30 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs


Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> Hi 
>
> I am looking for a package that allows me 
>
>     1. to mark several regions,
>
>     2. To kill them
>
>     3. And then later to yank everything.
>

I have heard this called "scatter gather."  I've been using
the following rather trivial code, which isn't fully "scatter
gather" but it does 1-3 above in incremental fashion, that is,
one region at a time rather than all at once.  I realize this
is not quite what you want, however it does allow you to yank
a concatenated set of copied or killed regions.

;;; A couple of append commands for scatter-gather.  Bind to
;;; global keys. Why C-cps and C-cpk? Because it's difficult,
;;; especially in org-mode, to find free keys.

(defun append-kill-to-kill-ring ()
  (interactive)
(append-next-kill)
(kill-region (mark) (point)))

(defun append-save-to-kill-ring ()
  (interactive)
(append-next-kill)
(kill-ring-save (mark) (point)))

(global-set-key "\C-cps" 'append-save-to-kill-ring)
(global-set-key "\C-cpk" 'append-kill-to-kill-ring)

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 16:02 mark multi regions, kill and yank Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 17:11 ` Bob Newell
@ 2023-10-30 17:32 ` Drew Adams
  2023-10-30 17:54   ` Uwe Brauer
  1 sibling, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-30 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I am looking for a package that allows me
>   1. to mark several regions,
>   2. To kill them
>   3. And then later to yank everything.

`C-w' kills the region text.

`C-M-w' appends the region text to the last kill.

So just use `C-w' for one region, then
`C-M-w C-w' for each subsequent region you
want to kill.  Each `C-M-w C-w' appends that
region to the latest string in `kill-ring'.

Then `C-y' yanks them all, as the latest string
in `kill-ring'.
___

If you don't want to kill the regions, and you
just want to copy them together (concatenated)
to the kill-ring, you can use library zones.el
for that.  And it doesn't matter when you "mark"
the regions of text that you want to later yank
together.

By default, each time you narrow the buffer,
the buffer restriction (the "narrowing") is
added to a list of zones, which is the value of
a variable (`zz-izones', by default).

You can prevent this automatic adding of
narrowings as zones, by setting option
`zz-narrowing-adds-zones-flag' to nil.

You can instead explicitly add the active
region of text as a zone using `C-x n a'
(command `zz-add-zone').  So just use that
any time you want to record a zone.

This is like `M-w', but instead of adding the
region's text to the kill-ring it adds it to
the current izones variable as a zone.

It's easy to define a command that copies the
text of the zones together to the `kill-ring':

(defun zz-copy-izones-as-kill (&optional variable)
"Copy text in izones to kill-ring.
The zones to use are those of VARIABLE that are in the current buffer.
VARIABLE defaults to the value of `zz-izones-var'.  With a prefix arg
you are prompted for a different variable to use."
(interactive
 (list (or (and current-prefix-arg
                (zz-read-any-variable
                 "Variable: " zz-izones-var t))
           zz-izones-var)))
(let* ((var      (or variable  zz-izones-var))
       (izones   (symbol-value var))
       (strings  ()))
  (dolist (iz  izones)
    (push (buffer-substring (cadr iz) (caddr iz)) strings))
  (kill-new (apply #'concat strings))))

You can alternatively use a noncontiguous region.
`zones.el' has functions for converting a set of
zones to and from a noncontiguous region.  (For
one thing, this gives you an easy way to construct
a noncontiguous region of any sort interactively.)



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 17:32 ` [External] : " Drew Adams
@ 2023-10-30 17:54   ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 19:39     ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3455 bytes --]

>>> "DA" == Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

>> I am looking for a package that allows me
>> 1. to mark several regions,
>> 2. To kill them
>> 3. And then later to yank everything.

> `C-w' kills the region text.

> `C-M-w' appends the region text to the last kill.

> So just use `C-w' for one region, then
> `C-M-w C-w' for each subsequent region you
> want to kill.  Each `C-M-w C-w' appends that
> region to the latest string in `kill-ring'.

> Then `C-y' yanks them all, as the latest string
> in `kill-ring'.
> ___

I know, but this is not very visual, I really like to have the different
region marked before I start any action. The multi-region looks very
much what I need, but the kill operation only works for one marked
region and append-next-kill does not work with this package (which is
very old, it is a miracle that it somehow still works, well it is Emacs
of course)


> If you don't want to kill the regions, and you
> just want to copy them together (concatenated)
> to the kill-ring, you can use library zones.el
> for that.  And it doesn't matter when you "mark"
> the regions of text that you want to later yank
> together.

> By default, each time you narrow the buffer,
> the buffer restriction (the "narrowing") is
> added to a list of zones, which is the value of
> a variable (`zz-izones', by default).

> You can prevent this automatic adding of
> narrowings as zones, by setting option
> `zz-narrowing-adds-zones-flag' to nil.

Ok thanks for pointint that out I will have  look and for sure use the
function you provided below

> You can instead explicitly add the active
> region of text as a zone using `C-x n a'
> (command `zz-add-zone').  So just use that
> any time you want to record a zone.

> This is like `M-w', but instead of adding the
> region's text to the kill-ring it adds it to
> the current izones variable as a zone.

> It's easy to define a command that copies the
> text of the zones together to the `kill-ring':

> (defun zz-copy-izones-as-kill (&optional variable)
> "Copy text in izones to kill-ring.
> The zones to use are those of VARIABLE that are in the current buffer.
> VARIABLE defaults to the value of `zz-izones-var'.  With a prefix arg
> you are prompted for a different variable to use."
> (interactive
>  (list (or (and current-prefix-arg
>                 (zz-read-any-variable
>                  "Variable: " zz-izones-var t))
>            zz-izones-var)))
> (let* ((var      (or variable  zz-izones-var))
>        (izones   (symbol-value var))
>        (strings  ()))
>   (dolist (iz  izones)
>     (push (buffer-substring (cadr iz) (caddr iz)) strings))
>   (kill-new (apply #'concat strings))))

> You can alternatively use a noncontiguous region.
> `zones.el' has functions for converting a set of
> zones to and from a noncontiguous region.  (For
> one thing, this gives you an easy way to construct
> a noncontiguous region of any sort interactively.)



-- 
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas terroristic attack on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 17:11 ` Bob Newell
@ 2023-10-30 17:56   ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 19:56     ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-30 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1480 bytes --]


> Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:


> I have heard this called "scatter gather."  I've been using
> the following rather trivial code, which isn't fully "scatter
> gather" but it does 1-3 above in incremental fashion, that is,
> one region at a time rather than all at once.  I realize this
> is not quite what you want, however it does allow you to yank
> a concatenated set of copied or killed regions.

> ;;; A couple of append commands for scatter-gather.  Bind to
> ;;; global keys. Why C-cps and C-cpk? Because it's difficult,
> ;;; especially in org-mode, to find free keys.

> (defun append-kill-to-kill-ring ()
>   (interactive)
> (append-next-kill)
> (kill-region (mark) (point)))

> (defun append-save-to-kill-ring ()
>   (interactive)
> (append-next-kill)
> (kill-ring-save (mark) (point)))

> (global-set-key "\C-cps" 'append-save-to-kill-ring)
> (global-set-key "\C-cpk" 'append-kill-to-kill-ring)


Thanks, but this does not allow you to mark visually various region at
the same time, right?


-- 
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas terroristic attack on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 17:54   ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-30 19:39     ` Drew Adams
  2023-10-30 20:32       ` Uwe Brauer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-30 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> The multi-region looks very much what I need,
> but the kill operation only works for one marked
> region and append-next-kill does not work with
> this package (which is very old, it is a miracle
> that it somehow still works, well it is Emacs
> of course)

You can show the current set of zones, in
various ways (e.g., highlight/unhighlight),
so you can easily see what you're acting on.

You can define a command that deletes or
kills the text in a set of zones.

It's easy to define any actions you want
on a set of zones (or on selected zones).
See, for example, functions `zz-do-izones'
and `zz-map-izones':

 Map FUNCTION over IZONES, applying it to each izone.
 IZONES is a list like `zz-izones', that is, zones with identifiers.
 IZONES defaults to the value of the variable that is the value of
 `zz-izones-var'.
 Non-nil optional arg UNITE-P means first unite the zones and then
 iterate over the resulting list.

Some common vanilla-Emacs commands that
act on the region work out of the box on
a noncontiguous region.  There are similar
commands that work on a set of zones. E.g.

`zz(-map)-query-replace(-regexp)-zones', 
`zz-replace-(string|regexp)-zones'

E.g. `C-x n M-%' does `query-replace' on
the zones in the current buffer.

Pretty much anything you can do with the
Emacs region you can do with a set of zones
(i.e., with a non-contiguous "region").

But most existing Emacs commands that act on
the region don't know about non-contiguous
regions.  What you will need to do is define
new commands that take them into account.

> > If you don't want to kill the regions, and you
> > just want to copy them together (concatenated)
> > to the kill-ring, you can use library zones.el
> > for that....
> 
> Ok thanks for pointint that out I will have look
> and for sure use the function you provided below




^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 17:56   ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-30 19:56     ` Bob Newell
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 17+ messages in thread
From: Bob Newell @ 2023-10-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs


>> ;;; A couple of append commands for scatter-gather.  Bind to
>> ;;; global keys. Why C-cps and C-cpk? Because it's difficult,
>> ;;; especially in org-mode, to find free keys.
>
>> (defun append-kill-to-kill-ring ()
>>   (interactive)
>> (append-next-kill)
>> (kill-region (mark) (point)))
>
>> (defun append-save-to-kill-ring ()
>>   (interactive)
>> (append-next-kill)
>> (kill-ring-save (mark) (point)))
>
>> (global-set-key "\C-cps" 'append-save-to-kill-ring)
>> (global-set-key "\C-cpk" 'append-kill-to-kill-ring)
>
>
> Thanks, but this does not allow you to mark visually various region at
> the same time, right?

Unfortunately not. It is a 50% solution.  But now other posts
in this thread have shown how to do what you wish.

-- 
Bob Newell
Honolulu, Hawai`i

- Via GNU/Linux/Emacs/Gnus/BBDB



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 19:39     ` Drew Adams
@ 2023-10-30 20:32       ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-30 21:42         ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-30 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1169 bytes --]

>>> "DA" == Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

>> The multi-region looks very much what I need,
>> but the kill operation only works for one marked
>> region and append-next-kill does not work with
>> this package (which is very old, it is a miracle
>> that it somehow still works, well it is Emacs
>> of course)

> You can show the current set of zones, in
> various ways (e.g., highlight/unhighlight),
> so you can easily see what you're acting on.

> You can define a command that deletes or
> kills the text in a set of zones.

Ok, it seems that I have to combine zones with the ancient
multi-region-mark-region, so the steps are

    1. Mark say a line

    2. Run multi-region-mark-region

    3. Mark another line

    4. Run multi-region-mark-region, this way various noncontiguous are
       higlighted.

    5. Run zz-add-zone on each highlighted region (I prefer to do this
       once all regions are highlighted)

    6. Run your function (zz-copy-izones-as-kill 'zz-izones)

Voila.

A last question about a function I do not find listed in your package:

Can I purge all zones in one go?


Thanks

Uwe 

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 20:32       ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-30 21:42         ` Drew Adams
  2023-10-31  8:53           ` Uwe Brauer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-30 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > You can show the current set of zones, in
> > various ways (e.g., highlight/unhighlight),
> > so you can easily see what you're acting on.
> 
> > You can define a command that deletes or
> > kills the text in a set of zones.
> 
> Ok, it seems that I have to combine zones with the
> ancient multi-region-mark-region, so the steps are
> 
>     1. Mark say a line
>     2. Run multi-region-mark-region
>     3. Mark another line
>     4. Run multi-region-mark-region, this way various noncontiguous are
>        higlighted.
>     5. Run zz-add-zone on each highlighted region (I prefer to do this
>        once all regions are highlighted)
>     6. Run your function (zz-copy-izones-as-kill 'zz-izones)
> 
> Voila.

Command `hlt-highlight-zones' from library `highlight.el'
highlights zones.  So just `C-x n a' to add each zone
and then `M-x hlt-highlight-zones'.

(`M-x hlt-unhighlight-zones' to unhighlight them.)

Or if you really want to use your `multi-region-mark-region'
then you can use `M-x zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' to
create the zones from the `multi-region-mark-region'
highlighting (assuming it uses text or overlay property
`face' or `font-lock-face').

All of this should be clear from looking at file `zones.el'.

> A last question about a function I do not find listed in your package:
> 
> Can I purge all zones in one go?

Just set the izones variable to nil.  E.g., for the
default variable, which is `zz-izones', use this:

  M-: (setq zz-izones nil)

___

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightLibrary

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/highlight.el





^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-30 21:42         ` Drew Adams
@ 2023-10-31  8:53           ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-31 16:39             ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1648 bytes --]



> Command `hlt-highlight-zones' from library `highlight.el'
> highlights zones.  So just `C-x n a' to add each zone
> and then `M-x hlt-highlight-zones'.

> (`M-x hlt-unhighlight-zones' to unhighlight them.)


Thanks I downloaded this package via the package system (highlight-20210318.2248)
but it does not contain a command hlt-unhighlight-zones, there is only 
hlt-highlight-regions

I run a grep on all my packages
grep -r -F "hlt-highlight-zones" *

Without success

> Or if you really want to use your `multi-region-mark-region'
> then you can use `M-x zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' to

Also this command I cannot find


Does the package system not provide the latest version?

Thanks

Uwe 
> create the zones from the `multi-region-mark-region'
> highlighting (assuming it uses text or overlay property
> `face' or `font-lock-face').

> All of this should be clear from looking at file `zones.el'.


> Just set the izones variable to nil.  E.g., for the
> default variable, which is `zz-izones', use this:

>   M-: (setq zz-izones nil)

> ___

> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightLibrary

> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/highlight.el



-- 
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas terroristic attack on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31  8:53           ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-31 16:39             ` Drew Adams
  2023-10-31 16:52               ` Uwe Brauer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-31 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > Command `hlt-highlight-zones' from library `highlight.el'
> > highlights zones.  So just `C-x n a' to add each zone
> > and then `M-x hlt-highlight-zones'.
> > (`M-x hlt-unhighlight-zones' to unhighlight them.)
> 
> Thanks I downloaded this package via the package system
> (highlight-20210318.2248) but it does not contain a command
> hlt-unhighlight-zones, there is only hlt-highlight-regions
> 
> > Or if you really want to use your `multi-region-mark-region'
> > then you can use `M-x zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' to
> 
> Also this command I cannot find
> 
> Does the package system not provide the latest version?

Oops.  Sorry.

I haven't updated the external/uploaded highlight.el
wrt what I use myself locally. I still have some
changes in progress, and I haven't gotten around to
finishing them.  Guess I shouldn't have mentioned it
at all in this context - apologies.

In the uploaded version the zones commands use the
word "regions" instead of "zones" in their names:
`hlt-[un]highlight-regions'.  And you're right,
command `zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' is also
missing from the uploaded version.

In any case, the latest uploaded version is always
on Emacs Wiki.  Get it there, not from any package
repository.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/highlight.el

I don't guarantee that its functions for zones with
work correctly with the latest uploaded version of
zones.el.  The external versions of zones.el and
highlight.el might be out-of-sync; dunno.  YMMV.

Very sorry for the trouble and misinformation.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31 16:39             ` Drew Adams
@ 2023-10-31 16:52               ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-31 17:48                 ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1316 bytes --]



> Oops.  Sorry.

> I haven't updated the external/uploaded highlight.el
> wrt what I use myself locally. I still have some
> changes in progress, and I haven't gotten around to
> finishing them.  Guess I shouldn't have mentioned it
> at all in this context - apologies.


Don't worry, I have to thank you for providing all the code.


> In the uploaded version the zones commands use the
> word "regions" instead of "zones" in their names:
> `hlt-[un]highlight-regions'.  And you're right,
> command `zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' is also
> missing from the uploaded version.


Whats about the one in github
git@github.com:emacsmirror/highlight.git

I wouldn't mind using that one (I usually prefer to clone[1] a
repository, since that is easier to upgrade.

Is there also one for zones?

Thanks

Uwe 


Footnotes:
[1]  actually I prefer hg over git, but I know that the majority of
     hackers don't

-- 
I strongly condemn Hamas atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31 16:52               ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-31 17:48                 ` Drew Adams
  2023-10-31 20:36                   ` Uwe Brauer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-31 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Whats about the one in github
> git@github.com:emacsmirror/highlight.git
> 
> I wouldn't mind using that one (I usually prefer to 
> clone[1] a repository, since that is easier to upgrade.

That should be synced to what's on Emacs Wiki.

E.g., this is the page for highlight.el, and it
has the same version as what's on Emacs Wiki:

https://github.com/emacsmirror/highlight/blob/master/highlight.el

> Is there also one for zones?

Yes - same thing:

https://github.com/emacsmirror/zones/blob/master/zones.el

But it's not up-to-date even wrt Emacs Wiki.
Dunno how/when that mirroring is done.  The doc
for that mirror says it's done several times a
day, but I guess not (?).  In any case, the
mirror version of zones.el is old (2019.7.13).

zones.el is also in GNU ELPA.  Same version as
on the wiki (2023.06.11).

https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/zones.html

But the wiki might sometimes be more up-to-date.
I upload to the wiki, and if I remember I update
GNU ELPA.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31 17:48                 ` Drew Adams
@ 2023-10-31 20:36                   ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-10-31 21:08                     ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-31 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 897 bytes --]

>>> "DA" == Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:

>> Whats about the one in github
>> git@github.com:emacsmirror/highlight.git
>> 
>> I wouldn't mind using that one (I usually prefer to 
>> clone[1] a repository, since that is easier to upgrade.

> That should be synced to what's on Emacs Wiki.

I am a bit confused.

So, both highlight and zones are under git control
in their corresponding repositories, right?

Do you push these commits then to a public repository, regularly?

Regards

Uwe 


-- 
I strongly condemn Hamas atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31 20:36                   ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-10-31 21:08                     ` Drew Adams
  2023-11-01  7:05                       ` Uwe Brauer
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-10-31 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> >> Whats about the one in github
> >> git@github.com:emacsmirror/highlight.git
> >>
> >> I wouldn't mind using that one (I usually prefer to
> >> clone[1] a repository, since that is easier to upgrade.
> 
> > That should be synced to what's on Emacs Wiki.
> 
> I am a bit confused.
> 
> So, both highlight and zones are under git control
> in their corresponding repositories, right?
> 
> Do you push these commits then to a public repository, regularly?

I upload my files to Emacs Wiki - only.  Wiki files
are automatically mirrored to the GitHub mirror of
the wiki, AFAIK - I have nothing to do with that.

I send patches of (only) zones.el to Stefan
Monnier, who kindly updates the version in GNU ELPA.
I don't add it there myself.  And I don't guarantee
that I send every wiki update to also be included
in GNU ELPA.

If you want to be sure to have the latest versions
of any of my files then download them from the wiki.

HTH.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* Re: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-10-31 21:08                     ` Drew Adams
@ 2023-11-01  7:05                       ` Uwe Brauer
  2023-11-01 15:00                         ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 1 reply; 17+ messages in thread
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-11-01  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: Uwe Brauer, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1387 bytes --]



> I upload my files to Emacs Wiki - only.  Wiki files
> are automatically mirrored to the GitHub mirror of
> the wiki, AFAIK - I have nothing to do with that.

Ok, that explains the empty log messages.

I downloaded the hightlight.el file, again, from wiki, and the
function we talked about it, is still not in. So I wait.


Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be easier, if you would push zones
and hightlight to some repo, which is publicly available. 

I personally find pushing and pulling more convenient than uploading and
downloading a file (via a browser)


> I send patches of (only) zones.el to Stefan
> Monnier, who kindly updates the version in GNU ELPA.
> I don't add it there myself.  And I don't guarantee
> that I send every wiki update to also be included
> in GNU ELPA.

> If you want to be sure to have the latest versions
> of any of my files then download them from the wiki.


As I said the functions we were talking about are not in wiki.

Regards

> HTH.

-- 
I strongly condemn Hamas atrocities on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support to deliver weapons to Ukraine's military. 
I support the NATO membership of Ukraine.
I support the EU membership of Ukraine. 
https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/addon/gmail-conversation-view/

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]
[-- Type: application/pkcs7-signature, Size: 5673 bytes --]

^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

* RE: [External] : mark multi regions, kill and yank
  2023-11-01  7:05                       ` Uwe Brauer
@ 2023-11-01 15:00                         ` Drew Adams
  0 siblings, 0 replies; 17+ messages in thread
From: Drew Adams @ 2023-11-01 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Uwe Brauer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> I downloaded the hightlight.el file, again, from wiki, and the
> function we talked about it, is still not in. So I wait.

As I said, you can just use the old names,
`hlt-(un)highlight-regions' instead of
`hlt-(un)highlight-zones.el'.  And you have
`zz-add-zones-from-highlighting' as well.

I don't expect to finish the changes I started
in highlight.el soon.  So don't bother to wait.

> Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be easier, if you would push zones
> and hightlight to some repo, which is publicly available.

Not for me, no.  Anyone is welcome to mirror
the files from Emacs Wiki to a GIT repo (and
that should already be happening, with the
Emacsmirror repo).

If it's too hard to download two files from
Emacs Wiki, add their directory to your
`load-path', and `require' them, then perhaps
look for another way to do what you want.

I have only the one suggestion; if it doesn't
work for you then try something else.

> > If you want to be sure to have the latest versions
> > of any of my files then download them from the wiki.
> 
> As I said the functions we were talking about are not in wiki.

I've already explained about what's available
on the wiki: the latest externalized versions.
If they help you do what you want, great.  If
not, then perhaps someone else will be able
to help you more.



^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 17+ messages in thread

end of thread, other threads:[~2023-11-01 15:00 UTC | newest]

Thread overview: 17+ messages (download: mbox.gz / follow: Atom feed)
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2023-10-30 16:02 mark multi regions, kill and yank Uwe Brauer
2023-10-30 17:11 ` Bob Newell
2023-10-30 17:56   ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-30 19:56     ` Bob Newell
2023-10-30 17:32 ` [External] : " Drew Adams
2023-10-30 17:54   ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-30 19:39     ` Drew Adams
2023-10-30 20:32       ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-30 21:42         ` Drew Adams
2023-10-31  8:53           ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-31 16:39             ` Drew Adams
2023-10-31 16:52               ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-31 17:48                 ` Drew Adams
2023-10-31 20:36                   ` Uwe Brauer
2023-10-31 21:08                     ` Drew Adams
2023-11-01  7:05                       ` Uwe Brauer
2023-11-01 15:00                         ` Drew Adams

This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for read-only IMAP folder(s) and NNTP newsgroup(s).