From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
To: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
Cc: Rudolf Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at>,  help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: PWD is not seen by my emacs installation
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2023 18:14:47 -0700	[thread overview]

Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, that is what occurs, but my issue is the need to give the full path
> (or even a relative path off of '~').  I just want to edit the file in the
> local directory.  I do not want to have to say "open -a Emacs.app
> $PWD/file.txt" just to open a local file.
>
> I also tried using the --env option to the open command but it does not
> seem to work.
>
> Invoking it directly works correctly.

This sounds like the same problem of starting Emacs from an icon in many
window managers.  The standard icons often don't load your "profile",
but rather uses a default "slimmed down" profile.  Try this:

1. Start Emacs from the icon
2. Check your environment by either of these ways:
2a, 'M-x shell' and then 'env'
2b. 'C-h v process-environment'
3. Compare that environment with your "directly" environment
4. If $HOME is correct in #2 & #3, you can fix other key environment
variables using early-init.el (see 'Init File' in the Emacs infodocs).
5. Use 'setenv' in early-init.el to adjust your environment as needed.

--
David Masterson