From: tpeplt <tpeplt@gmail.com>
To: Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
Cc: Help Gnu Emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: PWD is not seen by my emacs installation
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2023 20:59:38 -0400	[thread overview]

Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com> writes:

>  >
>  > Suggestions?
>  >

>  1. View your *Messages* (type C-h e) to see if there are any error
>     messages during Emacs’s start-up that might be related to this.
>
> Nothing to indicate any errors.

You might try starting Emacs from your shell with: $ emacs -Q

- Once it has started, try the command ‘getenv’ by typing M-x getenv

- Respond to the "Get environment variable: " prompt with PWD

If the result is not nil, then it might indicate a problem in your Emacs
initialization file (~/.emacs or one of the many variants).  If the
result is nil, then you could try checking other environment variables
or simply display Emacs’s entire list of your environment that it knows
about by typing C-h v initial-environment

None of this shows where the problem is yet, but it could be that there
is a problem in your installed Emacs or in some Emacs Lisp code that you
are running.  You want to try to identify or eliminate one or the other
as the source of the problem.