* Chromebook Linux, Emacs 27.1, and full-screen ?
@ 2023-10-08  0:24 David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-10-08  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I wanted to use Emacs in full screen mode to get a little more screen
real estate.  The maximize button now has options on how you want to
arrange the screen with respect to other screens below it including
putting it into full-screen mode.  The problem is that it tells me to
hit F5 to exit full-screen mode, but (after figuring out where F5 is on
this Chromebook) it appears that Emacs is intercepting the F5 key, so
the X window manager doesn't see it and take me out of full-screen mode,

Any workarounds for this?

--
David Masterson

* Re: Chromebook Linux, Emacs 27.1, and full-screen ?
@ 2023-10-08  3:40 ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-10-08  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com> writes:

> I wanted to use Emacs in full screen mode to get a little more screen
> real estate.  The maximize button now has options on how you want to
> arrange the screen with respect to other screens below it including
> putting it into full-screen mode.  The problem is that it tells me to
> hit F5 to exit full-screen mode, but (after figuring out where F5 is on
> this Chromebook) it appears that Emacs is intercepting the F5 key, so
> the X window manager doesn't see it and take me out of full-screen mode,
>
> Any workarounds for this?

Found it!  Launcher-z will bring up the maximize menu where you can exit
full-screen-mode.

However, for OSes (like Chromebook's Debian) that use special keys for
OS purposes, is there a way to tell to Emacs not to absorb those keys?

--

@ 2023-10-08  5:09 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-08  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 17:24:13 -0700
>
> I wanted to use Emacs in full screen mode to get a little more screen
> real estate.  The maximize button now has options on how you want to
> arrange the screen with respect to other screens below it including
> putting it into full-screen mode.  The problem is that it tells me to
> hit F5 to exit full-screen mode, but (after figuring out where F5 is on
> this Chromebook) it appears that Emacs is intercepting the F5 key, so
> the X window manager doesn't see it and take me out of full-screen mode,
>
> Any workarounds for this?

Why don't you use the Emacs-specific F11 key?

* Re: Chromebook Linux, Emacs 27.1, and full-screen ?
@ 2023-10-09  5:40   ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-10-09  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 17:24:13 -0700
>>
>> I wanted to use Emacs in full screen mode to get a little more screen
>> real estate.  The maximize button now has options on how you want to
>> arrange the screen with respect to other screens below it including
>> putting it into full-screen mode.  The problem is that it tells me to
>> hit F5 to exit full-screen mode, but (after figuring out where F5 is on
>> this Chromebook) it appears that Emacs is intercepting the F5 key, so
>> the X window manager doesn't see it and take me out of full-screen mode,
>>
>> Any workarounds for this?
>
> Why don't you use the Emacs-specific F11 key?

Should've known there'd be a key for this...

I noticed 'M-F10' toggles maximize, but 'M-F10' followed by Maximize
will maximize the frame, but not Emacs.  Expected?
--

@ 2023-10-09 11:16     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-10-09 11:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 22:40:27 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Why don't you use the Emacs-specific F11 key?
>
> Should've known there'd be a key for this...
>
> I noticed 'M-F10' toggles maximize, but 'M-F10' followed by Maximize
> will maximize the frame, but not Emacs.  Expected?

What is "Maximize"?

* Re: Chromebook Linux, Emacs 27.1, and full-screen ?
@ 2023-10-10 20:04       ` David Masterson
From: David Masterson @ 2023-10-10 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: David Masterson <dsmasterson@gmail.com>
>> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>> Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 22:40:27 -0700
>>
>> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>> > Why don't you use the Emacs-specific F11 key?
>>
>> Should've known there'd be a key for this...
>>
>> I noticed 'M-F10' toggles maximize, but 'M-F10' followed by Maximize
>> will maximize the frame, but not Emacs.  Expected?
>
> What is "Maximize"?

Hmm.  The button on the frame in (usually) the upper right between the
minimize button and the close button.

Nevermind. I can't repeat the problem.  Probably a glitch.

--
David Masterson