* eshell bug? extra TAB after prompt
@ 2023-08-16 11:48 Rainer J.H. Brandt
From: Rainer J.H. Brandt @ 2023-08-16 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

eshell often, but not always, prints an extra TAB immediately after the
prompt.  I have

  (setq eshell-prompt-regexp "$ "
    eshell-prompt-function (lambda nil "$ "))

but the problem is reproducible under "emacs -q".

I use Emacs 27.1 under Ubuntu, but I've seen the problem on other
installations, too.

It often happens when the last word of the command was the result of
completion, but I've seen exceptions to this rule.

Is it a bug?  (I couldn't find anything related to such a problem.)
Or am I overlooking something?

BTW:  Is this the right place for questions about eshell?

Thanks,
Rainer J.H. Brandt

* Re: eshell bug? extra TAB after prompt
@ 2023-08-19 22:55 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-08-19 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rainer J.H. Brandt wrote:

> BTW: Is this the right place for questions about eshell?

Absolutely, but you are not getting any replies :)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: eshell bug? extra TAB after prompt
@ 2023-08-22 17:51   ` Rainer J.H. Brandt
From: Rainer J.H. Brandt @ 2023-08-22 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg writes:
> > BTW: Is this the right place for questions about eshell?
>
> Absolutely, but you are not getting any replies :)

I might count your comment as a reply.  But seriously, I'm surprised that
nobody except you cared to comment.  That probably means that I have to go
straight to bug-gnu-emacs after verifying that the problem still occurs
with the latest release.  I'd like to fix it, but expect that I'd need much
time, since my Elisp experience is rather limited.

Regards, Rainer

* Re: eshell bug? extra TAB after prompt
@ 2023-08-22 18:10 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-22 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer J.H. Brandt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 16 Aug 2023 at 18:48, Rainer J.H. Brandt <rjhb@bb-c.de> wrote:

> eshell often, but not always, prints an extra TAB immediately after the
> prompt.  I have
>
>   (setq eshell-prompt-regexp "$ "
>     eshell-prompt-function (lambda nil "$ "))

I do not use eshell and this reply will probably not help you against
the original problem, but did you really intend your
eshell-prompt-regexp to match end of line followed by a space?

* Re: eshell bug? extra TAB after prompt
@ 2023-08-22 18:14   ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2023-08-22 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rainer J.H. Brandt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 23 Aug 2023 at 01:10, Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> wrote:

> did you really intend your
> eshell-prompt-regexp to match end of line followed by a space?

Hm, scratch that, ‘$’ is only special when at the end of regexp or
before ‘\)’ or ‘\|’.