* isearch show the number of the match
@ 2023-05-05  2:21 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-05-05  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i get confused about what match i am on when i run isearch and the
lines are identical.

i want a sequence number for each match in the minibuffer.
the manual for 26.1 seems to have something like what i am loking for:

isearch-lazy-count ¶

    Show the current match number and the total number of
    matches in the search prompt.

but the variable does not exist and is not in the dir that contains isearch.el.

also, does consult (or whatever package works with vertico) offer this?

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: isearch show the number of the match
@ 2023-05-05  3:00 ` Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-05-05  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> i get confused about what match i am on when i run isearch and the
> lines are identical.
>
> i want a sequence number for each match in the minibuffer.
> the manual for 26.1 seems to have something like what i am loking for:
>
> isearch-lazy-count ¶
>
>     Show the current match number and the total number of
>     matches in the search prompt.
>
> but the variable does not exist and is not in the dir that contains isearch.el.
>
> also, does consult (or whatever package works with vertico) offer this?

isearch-lazy-count is a variable defined in ‘isearch.el’.

Its value is nil

Show match numbers in the search prompt.
When both this option and ‘isearch-lazy-highlight’ are non-nil,
show the current match number and the total number of matches
in the buffer (or its restriction), including all hidden matches.

  This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
  version 27.1 of Emacs.
  You can customize this variable.

[back]

What version of Emacs are you using?

--
Best,

RY

[Please note that this mail might go to spam due to some
misconfiguration in my mail server -- still investigating.]

* `mm-uu-extract' figure-of-eight syntax (was: Re: isearch show the number of the match)
@ 2023-05-05  3:08   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-05-05  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ruijie Yu via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> isearch-lazy-count is a variable defined in =E2=80=98isearch.el=E2=80=99.
>
> Its value is nil
>
> Show match numbers in the search prompt.
> When both this option and =E2=80=98isearch-lazy-highlight=E2=80=99 are non-=
> nil,
> show the current match number and the total number of matches
> in the buffer (or its restriction), including all hidden matches.
>
>   This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
>   version 27.1 of Emacs.
>   You can customize this variable.
>
> [back]

Is this a way to make this text appar in `mm-uu-extract'?

Okay, so what is that syntax?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: isearch show the number of the match
@ 2023-05-05  3:56   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-05-05  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruijie Yu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

my mistake.  i was looking at an online manual for a version greater
than the version i was using.  i also got confused and thought i was
looking at the info manual and teh corret one.  kind of sacreligious
error.  apologies for the noise.

my ido with ido-hacks is not working, so i am beginning to get really
curious about vertico & co. as a replacement.  is another reason i
asked the consult question.