* listing auto-save files that are newer
@ 2022-12-22  3:44 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-12-22  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

is there a function for listing all files that have auto
save files that are newer?  e.g. for after a computer crash.

i found no such.  i want to put such a list at top of scratch buffer
on  startup.  like this:

auto-save file is newer -- fixme: /home/whatever/wherever/executive.org
auto-save file is newer -- fixme: /home/whatever/wherever/config-file

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: listing auto-save files that are newer
@ 2022-12-24 15:52 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2022-12-24 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> is there a function for listing all files that have auto
> save files that are newer?  e.g. for after a computer crash.

> i found no such.  i want to put such a list at top of scratch buffer
> on  startup.  like this:

> auto-save file is newer -- fixme: /home/whatever/wherever/executive.org
> auto-save file is newer -- fixme: /home/whatever/wherever/config-file

I don't know but I'm looking for something like that as
well.  I was thinking about a function that iterates over
all ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list files that are not of the cur-
rent Emacs process, iterates over all filenames in those, if
for one of those filenames there is an auto-save file, vis-
its the first one or, if there is none, deletes that
~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list file.

The UI flow would be to call the function and deal with the
first file, lather, rinse, repeat.  As a Gnus user there
would be need to be an exception for ~/.newsrc.dribble~
which Gnus handles itself.

Tim

* Re: listing auto-save files that are newer
@ 2022-12-31  5:01   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-12-31  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Landscheidt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

i forgot to mention, i have all of my auto-save files in one place:

(setq auto-save-list-file-prefix
      (expand-file-name ".saves-" alpha-auto-save-directory))
(setq auto-save-file-name-transforms
      `((".*" ,alpha-auto-save-directory t)))

your idea seems plausible.

i also have this, but it depends on buffers.

not files.

(defun alpha-file-auto-save-newer-p ()
  (or (recent-auto-save-p)
      (file-newer-than-file-p (or buffer-auto-save-file-name
                                  (make-auto-save-file-name))
                              buffer-file-name)))

[i missed this message because i can't figure out how to filter
[webmail, nothing so sophisticated as gnus].]