* "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-14  7:41 Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2024-04-14  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I have just installed a new instance of MacTex 29.3 via homebrew cask
on my 21.5-Inch, Late 2013 iMac running macOS Catalina (10.15.7).

When I open the emacs GUI by issuing the command "emacs &" in the
Terminal, the GUI opens fine, however the following line appears in
the Terminal:

LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead.

It's not a big deal, but it's annoying, and I'd like this message not
to appear every time I open emacs.

Would you please help me diagnose, and resolve this issue?

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-14  7:42 ` Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2024-04-14  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I meant to say Emacs 29.3, not MacTex 29.3...

@ 2024-04-15 13:59 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-04-15 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead.

AFAIK, this message doesn't come from Emacs's own code but from the
C library (when Emacs calls it to setup the locale).

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-17 22:09 ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2024-04-17 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evan Aad wrote:
> LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead.
>
> It's not a big deal, but it's annoying, and I'd like this message not
> to appear every time I open emacs.
>
> Would you please help me diagnose, and resolve this issue?

By this message it appears to me that en_IL.UTF-8 is not installed and
is therefore not available as a locale to be selected.  The main
utility to query the system about the currently configured locale is
the "locale" command.  What does it say?

    locale

For example I definitely do not have that locale installed and I see
this example output.  This is an example of not having the locale
available and therefore things fall back to the C locale.

    rwp@madness:~$ env LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 locale
    LANG=en_IL.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="C"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_TIME="C"
    LC_NUMERIC="C"
    LC_MONETARY="C"
    LC_MESSAGES=C
    LC_ALL=

Just to show an example this is what I will normally see with my
customized settings.

    rwp@madness:~$ locale
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE=C
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES=C
    LC_ALL=

I find Perl to be most useful to diagnose locale issues too.  Here is
an example.  If the specified locale exists then the command is silent.

    rwp@madness:~$ env LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 perl -e 0
    perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
            LC_ALL = (unset),
            LC_MESSAGES = "C",
            LC_COLLATE = "C",
            LANG = "en_IL.UTF-8"

As far as I know installed locales available are names installed into
/usr/share/local/ and listed there.

    ls /usr/share/locale/

If you don't see en_IL.UTF-8 there then that is definitely what is
happening.  I don't have en_IL.UTF-8 available on any of my systems.
I don't know anything about Mac OS X and have no idea how locales are
installed and managed there.

Hope this helps!
Bob

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-17 23:03   ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2024-04-17 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 16:09:17 -0600 Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

[...]
> As far as I know installed locales available are names installed into
> /usr/share/locale/ and listed there.
>
>     ls /usr/share/locale/
>
> If you don't see en_IL.UTF-8 there then that is definitely what is
> happening.  I don't have en_IL.UTF-8 available on any of my systems.

I do have the en_IL.UTF-8 locale on my GNU/Linux system, but it's not
listed under /usr/share/locale/.  But under /usr/share/i18n/locales
there is a text file en_IL with the following entries (among others):

LC_CTYPE
copy "en_GB"
END LC_CTYPE

LC_COLLATE
copy "en_GB"
END LC_COLLATE

LC_MONETARY
copy "he_IL"
END LC_MONETARY

LC_NUMERIC
copy "he_IL"
END LC_NUMERIC

LC_MESSAGES
copy "en_US"
END LC_MESSAGES

LC_PAPER
copy "he_IL"
END LC_PAPER

LC_NAME
copy "en_US"
END LC_NAME

Since these are copied from other locales, perhaps that's why this
locale isn't listed under /usr/share/locale/.

Steve Berman

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-17 23:36   ` Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2024-04-17 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, Bob.

> The main utility to query the system about the currently configured locale is
the "locale" command.  What does it say?

It says:

LANG=""
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

@ 2024-04-17 23:42     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-04-17 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evan Aad wrote:

>> The main utility to query the system about the currently
>> configured locale is the "locale" command. What does
>> it say?
>
> It says:
>
> LANG=""
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_ALL=

What Unix or Linux distro is that?

The new "minimalistic" one, hehe?

On Debian 12, I have

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US:en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-18  4:13     ` Bob Proulx
From: Bob Proulx @ 2024-04-18  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Evan Aad wrote:
> > The main utility to query the system about the currently configured locale is
> > the "locale" command.  What does it say?
>
> LANG=""
> LC_COLLATE="C"
> LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="C"
> LC_MONETARY="C"
> LC_NUMERIC="C"
> LC_TIME="C"
> LC_ALL=

This definitely confirms that LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 is not available on
your Mac OS X system.  It is falling back to the internal C/POSIX
locale.  I don't know anything about Mac OS and have no idea how to
install additional locales there.

Until you can install an additional locale I suggest using the next
closest acceptable one that you have available.  The choice is of
course your choice.

Bob

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-18  5:45       ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2024-04-18  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.04.24 um 06:13 Uhr schrieb Bob Proulx:
> Evan Aad wrote:
>>> The main utility to query the system about the currently configured locale is
>>> the "locale" command.  What does it say?
>> LANG=""
>> LC_COLLATE="C"
>> LC_CTYPE="UTF-8"
>> LC_MESSAGES="C"
>> LC_MONETARY="C"
>> LC_NUMERIC="C"
>> LC_TIME="C"
>> LC_ALL=
> This definitely confirms that LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 is not available on
> your Mac OS X system.  It is falling back to the internal C/POSIX
> locale.  I don't know anything about Mac OS and have no idea how to
> install additional locales there.

Just a comparison to my machine which is an M1 MB Air under Ventura with
a German localisation:

LANG="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

On macOS the locale is set in system preferences on the language and
region tab. I suggest you give other options available there a try and
see what happens to your locale.

I wonder whether there is a locale en-IL at all on the Mac?

BTW, just in case, you will need exec-path-from-shell in order to access
environment variables in Emacs.

https://melpa.org/#/exec-path-from-shell

Regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: "LANG=en_IL.UTF-8 cannot be used, using en_US.UTF-8 instead" every time Emacs is opened
@ 2024-04-19 11:33   ` Evan Aad
From: Evan Aad @ 2024-04-19 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I've managed to resolve the issue, thanks to the various suggestions
offered in this thread as well as to the following Stack Exchange
post: https://stackoverflow.com/a/67242000/1818935

The way I've resolved it was by adding the following two lines of code
to the end of the file ~/.bash_profile:
LANG=he_IL.UTF-8
LC_ALL=he_IL.UTF-8

Note that I used "he_IL" rather than "en_IL", because there was no
locale with the prefix "us_IL" installed on my system, as verified by
executing the command "locale -a".

Thank you, all who have offered your help.