* Using package.el from site-start
@ 2024-02-04 19:48 sbaugh
From: sbaugh @ 2024-02-04 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I maintain an Emacs installation used by many people at my employer.  I
have site-specific customizations in site-start.el, stored in site-lisp.

I would like to be able to use packages installed into site-lisp/elpa
(which is added to package-directory-list) in my site-start.el.  But I'm
not sure how in site-start.el I can activate the packages installed into
site-lisp/elpa without interfering with later customization by users
which might, e.g., change package-user-dir.  If I call
(package-initialize) in site-start.el, that will activate the
site-lisp/elpa packages, but it will prevent users from using
early-init.el to customize the package system.

Also, if possible, I would like to use the package-quickstart-file
functionality to speed up activating the packages in site-lisp/elpa.

Any suggestions on how I should approach this?

* Re: Using package.el from site-start
@ 2024-02-05 19:27 ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-02-05 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sbaugh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

sbaugh@catern.com writes:

Why are you not adding those packages in the directory to load-path?

* Re: Using package.el from site-start
@ 2024-02-05 20:22   ` Spencer Baugh
From: Spencer Baugh @ 2024-02-05 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Bidar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:
> Why are you not adding those packages in the directory to load-path?

That's what activating a package does.

I could add them manually, but then they'll be added again when
package-initialize runs.

* Re: Using package.el from site-start
@ 2024-02-07 19:48     ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-02-07 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Spencer Baugh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@catern.com> writes:

> Björn Bidar <bjorn.bidar@thaodan.de> writes:
>> Why are you not adding those packages in the directory to load-path?
>
> That's what activating a package does.
>
> I could add them manually, but then they'll be added again when
> package-initialize runs.

If it's so complicated why not package those packages?