* switching from line-mode to char-mode
       [not found] <1114336686.3062541.1655534240476.ref@mail.yahoo.com>
@ 2022-06-18  6:37 ` Ost Qa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ost Qa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-06-18  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I recently updated a few machines and noticed that term.el in Emacs version 27+ forcibly submits my pasted commands to the shell sub-process when switching to char-mode (from line-mode). In prior versions of Emacs term.el didn't do this; I could further modify the command in char-mode even if it was pasted from line-mode and submit it myself by pressing enter.
I find this very inconvenient since I often copy a command from another buffer and paste it into the terminal via line-mode, then switch to char-mode so I can use bash completion to further modify the command. I understand that I could, for example, use a shell instead of ansi-term and rely on something like https://github.com/szermatt/emacs-bash-completion for completion but that solution has adverse consequences when running curses based programs.

This has bothered me so much it's caused me to load an old version of term.el by adding the following to my .emacs file:
(unless (version< emacs-version "27.0")
  (load-user-file "term.el"))
Anyway... is this change to the functionality of term.el a bug or intentional? I've looked through term.el itself but I'm not an especially seasoned Emacs lisp developer and so can't infer enough from it.

Am I the only one who thinks this functionality is a step backwards?

Thanks 1e6

* Re: switching from line-mode to char-mode
@ 2022-06-19 18:41   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-06-19 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ost Qa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: Ost Qa

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Am I the only one who thinks this functionality is a step backwards?

I'm quite sure that's a bug.  Seems to be an unintended side effect of
this commit:

5653b76d0b * lisp/term.el: Fix minor compilation issues with cl-lib and lexbind
Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> 2019-02-24

Can you please M-x report-emacs-bug the problem?

Thanks,

Michael.

* Re: switching from line-mode to char-mode
@ 2022-06-20 14:52     ` Ost Qa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Ost Qa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-06-20 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: michael_heerdegen@web.de, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sure thing. Thanks for helping confirm my suspicion.