* Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-18  1:19 Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-09-18  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I've just downloaded the Android+Termux port of Emacs from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-ports-for-gnu-emacs/files/termux/

I followed the instructions (install Termux first, then install Emacs), then I opened Emacs and tried to edit .emacs

Emacs froze immediately.

Then I forced emacs to close and tried again, this time doing M-x shell RET

Emacs froze again.

I then (after closing and reopening Emacs) opened eshell and tried to execute *anything* besides basic stuff like ls and this is what I get:

$ sh
readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed: Bad file descriptor

And then the shell hangs.

Any idea why this happens? This doesn't happen with the normal Emacs from Fdroid.

I'm running the armeabi-v7a version of Emacs. My phone is not rooted and I'm running Android 10.

Thanks in advance.

(Please cc me, I'm not subscribed to the list)

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
  2023-09-18  1:19 Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
@ 2023-09-18  5:03 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-18  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Romário Rios

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've just downloaded the Android+Termux port of Emacs from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-ports-for-gnu-emacs/files/termux/
>
> I followed the instructions (install Termux first, then install Emacs), then I opened Emacs and tried to edit .emacs
>
> Emacs froze immediately.
>
> Then I forced emacs to close and tried again, this time doing M-x shell RET
>
> Emacs froze again.
>
> I then (after closing and reopening Emacs) opened eshell and tried to execute *anything* besides basic stuff like ls and this is what I get:
>
> $ sh
> readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed: Bad file descriptor
>
> And then the shell hangs.
>
> Any idea why this happens? This doesn't happen with the normal Emacs from Fdroid.
>
> I'm running the armeabi-v7a version of Emacs. My phone is not rooted and I'm running Android 10.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> (Please cc me, I'm not subscribed to the list)

I think this issue arises from within the armeabi-v7a process tracing
code, which I wrote blindfolded at the time absent any devices to test
on.  I will investigate this.

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-18  6:17   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-18  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Romário Rios

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just downloaded the Android+Termux port of Emacs from here:
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-ports-for-gnu-emacs/files/termux/
>>
>> I followed the instructions (install Termux first, then install
>> Emacs), then I opened Emacs and tried to edit .emacs
>>
>> Emacs froze immediately.
>>
>> Then I forced emacs to close and tried again, this time doing M-x shell RET
>>
>> Emacs froze again.
>>
>> I then (after closing and reopening Emacs) opened eshell and tried
>> to execute *anything* besides basic stuff like ls and this is what I
>> get:
>>
>> $ sh
>> readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed: Bad file descriptor
>>
>> And then the shell hangs.
>>
>> Any idea why this happens? This doesn't happen with the normal Emacs from Fdroid.
>>
>> I'm running the armeabi-v7a version of Emacs. My phone is not rooted and I'm running Android 10.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> (Please cc me, I'm not subscribed to the list)
>
> I think this issue arises from within the armeabi-v7a process tracing
> code, which I wrote blindfolded at the time absent any devices to test
> on.  I will investigate this.

This should now function correctly; prebuilts will be generated
forthwith, as usual.

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-18 15:16     ` Romário Rios
From: Romário Rios @ 2023-09-18 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Em segunda-feira, 18 de setembro de 2023 às 03:17, Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> escreveu:
> Po Lu luangruo@yahoo.com writes:
>
> > Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> > help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org writes:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I've just downloaded the Android+Termux port of Emacs from here:
> > > https://sourceforge.net/projects/android-ports-for-gnu-emacs/files/termux/
> > >
> > > I followed the instructions (install Termux first, then install
> > > Emacs), then I opened Emacs and tried to edit .emacs
> > >
> > > Emacs froze immediately.
> > >
> > > Then I forced emacs to close and tried again, this time doing M-x shell RET
> > >
> > > Emacs froze again.
> > >
> > > I then (after closing and reopening Emacs) opened eshell and tried
> > > to execute anything besides basic stuff like ls and this is what I
> > > get:
> > >
> > > $ sh
> > > readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed: Bad file descriptor
> > >
> > > And then the shell hangs.
> > >
> > > Any idea why this happens? This doesn't happen with the normal Emacs from Fdroid.
> > >
> > > I'm running the armeabi-v7a version of Emacs. My phone is not rooted and I'm running Android 10.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > (Please cc me, I'm not subscribed to the list)
> >
> > I think this issue arises from within the armeabi-v7a process tracing
> > code, which I wrote blindfolded at the time absent any devices to test
> > on. I will investigate this.
>

> This should now function correctly; prebuilts will be generated
> forthwith, as usual.

Thank you for the very quick response! Should I reinstall both Termux and Emacs or just Emacs?

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-18 23:43       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-18 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romário Rios
  Cc: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Romário Rios <romariorios@protonmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for the very quick response! Should I reinstall both Termux
> and Emacs or just Emacs?

Just Emacs.

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-19  1:29         ` Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-09-19  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Em 18 de set de 2023 20:43, Po Lu < luangruo@yahoo.com> escreveu:
> Just Emacs.

Thanks!

Just downloaded and installed the latest version and the problem still happens, unfortunately:

@ 2023-09-19  2:03           ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-19  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romário Rios; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Romário Rios <romariorios@protonmail.com> writes:

> Em 18 de set de 2023 20:43, Po Lu < luangruo@yahoo.com> escreveu:
>> Just Emacs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Just downloaded and installed the latest version and the problem still happens, unfortunately:
>
> $ sh
> readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed: Bad file descriptor

Would you please submit a bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?  The
information generated by `M-x report-emacs-bug' might prove helpful.

TIA.

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-19 16:15             ` Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-09-19 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Em 18 de set de 2023 23:03, Po Lu < luangruo@yahoo.com> escreveu:
> Would you please submit a bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org? The information generated by `M-x report-emacs-bug' might prove helpful.

Sure. Do I cc you?

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-19 16:18             ` Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Romário Rios via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2023-09-19 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: luangruo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Em 18 de set de 2023 23:03, Po Lu < luangruo@yahoo.com> escreveu:
> Would you please submit a bug report to bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org? The information generated by `M-x report-emacs-bug' might prove helpful.

`M-x report-emacs-bug' hangs too. What do I do now?

* Re: Emacs for Android with Termux fails to execute most subprocesses: readlink('/proc/self/exe') failed
@ 2023-09-20  1:13               ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2023-09-20  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Romário Rios; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Romário Rios <romariorios@protonmail.com> writes:

> `M-x report-emacs-bug' hangs too. What do I do now?

That's very strange.  Do you have access to a non-Android computer from
which this problem can be investigated further?