* Is there a package to open a mounted drive etc. in Dired?
@ 2024-02-14 19:25 mbork
From: mbork @ 2024-02-14 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I use Dired as my file manager, and I copy things to and from flash
drives pretty often.  It would be quite convenient to have an option to
open the mounted drive in Dired without manually going a bit deeply in
the directory hierarchy.  Is there anything like this for Emacs already?
(If not, I'm more than happy to code it myself, I just don't want to
reinvent a wheel.)

TIA,

--
Marcin Borkowski
https://mbork.pl

* Re: Is there a package to open a mounted drive etc. in Dired?
@ 2024-02-15  5:50 ` Steven Allen
From: Steven Allen @ 2024-02-15  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's discomfort[1] for mounting drives via udisks (and opening
mounted drives). Is that what you're looking for?

[1]: https://codeberg.org/emacs-weirdware/discomfort

* Re: Is there a package to open a mounted drive etc. in Dired?
@ 2024-02-15  7:37   ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2024-02-15  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:50:52PM -0800, Steven Allen wrote:

> There's discomfort[1] for mounting drives via udisks (and opening
> mounted drives). Is that what you're looking for?

Hm. I guess the desktop environment's automounter is already mounting
the thing, so perhaps discomfort might come too late. Perhaps Marcin
can give more details on what's going on and what the actual problem
is?

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Is there a package to open a mounted drive etc. in Dired?
@ 2024-02-26 15:15     ` mbork
From: mbork @ 2024-02-26 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2024-02-15, at 08:37, <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> [[PGP Signed Part:Undecided]]
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2024 at 09:50:52PM -0800, Steven Allen wrote:
>>
>> There's discomfort[1] for mounting drives via udisks (and opening
>> mounted drives). Is that what you're looking for?
>
> Hm. I guess the desktop environment's automounter is already mounting
> the thing, so perhaps discomfort might come too late. Perhaps Marcin
> can give more details on what's going on and what the actual problem
> is?

Hello,

and sorry that I forgot to answer here.  Here is a blog post describing
the problem and my solution:
https://mbork.pl/2024-02-17_Opening_external_drives_in_Dired

Best,