* Displaying result of describe-input-method
@ 2024-03-20 14:12 Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-03-20 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Want to display the result of calling 'describe-input-method' based on a user
selection.  But I cannot get the resulting text to be displayed.

(defun razad (uselec)
  (interactive
   (list
    (let ( (cseq '("icelandic-keyboard" "italian-alt-postfix" "icelandic-postfix")) )
      (completing-read
       " Lingu: " cseq nil t "icelandic-postfix"))))

  (describe-input-method uselec)
  ;; (call-interactively 'describe-input-method)

  )

* Re: Displaying result of describe-input-method
@ 2024-03-27 22:26 ` tpeplt
From: tpeplt @ 2024-03-27 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Want to display the result of calling 'describe-input-method' based on a user
> selection.  But I cannot get the resulting text to be displayed.
>
> (defun razad (uselec)
>   (interactive
>    (list
>     (let ( (cseq '("icelandic-keyboard" "italian-alt-postfix" "icelandic-postfix")) )
>       (completing-read
>        " Lingu: " cseq nil t "icelandic-postfix"))))
>
>   (describe-input-method uselec)
>   ;; (call-interactively 'describe-input-method)
>
>   )

The resulting text is displayed in a *Help* buffer.  Are you not seeing
that result?

Using Emacs version 29.2:

1. Start emacs from a shell prompt:

$ emacs -Q

2. Copy your definition above to the *scratch* buffer and then evaluate
it to define the command ‘razad’.

3. Invoke the command ‘razad’: M-x razad

4. At the prompt " Lingu: icelandic-postfix", accept the default by
pressing RET.

5. A second window is displayed with a *Help* buffer that has the
following contents:

Input method: icelandic-postfix (mode line indicator:IS<)

Icelandic (Íslenska) input method with postfix modifiers

A' -> Á
E' -> É
I' -> Í
O' -> Ó
U' -> Ú
Y' -> Ý
AE -> Æ
OE -> Ö
D/ -> Ð (eth)
T/ -> Þ (thorn)
E= -> €

Doubling the postfix separates the letter and postfix: e.g. a'' -> a'

KEY SEQUENCE
------------
You can input characters by the following key sequences:
key char  [type a key sequence to insert the corresponding character]
--- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ---- --- ----
A'  Á	 E'  É	  OE  Ö	   Y'  Ý    d/	ð    o'	 ó    u'  ú
AE  Æ	 I'  Í	  T/  Þ	   a'  á    e'	é    oe	 ö    y'  ý
D/  Ð	 O'  Ó	  U'  Ú	   ae  æ    i'	í    t/	 þ

-- End of *Help* buffer text --

* Re: Displaying result of describe-input-method
@ 2024-03-28  3:22   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-03-28  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tpeplt wrote:

> Icelandic [...]

Iceland!

So you exist, good to hear it. I remember on all the
pan-Scandinavian forums of past days there was a joke,
"Where are the Icelanders anyway?" and then someone had to
reply, "On Iceland?" Haha.

But the population on Iceland is only 354 234 as of today
(2021) which might have something to do with it. The second
smallest Nordic country, Norway (it is a close race), has
5 509 591, obviously huge by comparison. [2]

But of course people are using Emacs on Iceland as well! \o/

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Displaying result of describe-input-method
@ 2024-03-31 11:18     ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2024-03-31 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday, March 31st, 2024 at 10:53 PM, Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> wrote:

> tpeplt wrote:
>
> > Icelandic [...]
>

> Iceland!
>
> So you exist, good to hear it. I remember on all the
> pan-Scandinavian forums of past days there was a joke,
> "Where are the Icelanders anyway?" and then someone had to
> reply, "On Iceland?" Haha.

Our invasion plans failed unfortunately !

> But the population on Iceland is only 354 234 as of today
> (2021) which might have something to do with it. The second
> smallest Nordic country, Norway (it is a close race), has
> 5 509 591, obviously huge by comparison. [2]
>
> But of course people are using Emacs on Iceland as well! \o/

Yes, the worse of the emacs community are there.  Did you know
that the original settlers proved unable to cope with the power
of Icelandic Chieftains ?