* Splitting nnmaildir groups
@ 2022-10-24 13:11 Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-24 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[ This is a correction of my previous message with wrong subject.  I
  actually wanted to mean nnmaildir, not nnmailbox.  Sorry for the
  mistake.  ]

I have subscribed to some high volume mailing lists, and I some miss
important messages within those less important message.

How to split nnmaildir groups?  I download my mails with mbsync and have
the following select methods:

      (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
      (setq
       gnus-secondary-select-methods
       '((nnmaildir
          "disroot"
          (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib@disroot.org/"))
         (nnmaildir
          "gmail"
          (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib8492@gmail.com-gnus/"))))

And the split rules:

      (setq nnmail-split-methods #'nnmail-split-fancy)
      (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| "mail.other"))

Thanks in advance.

--
Akib Azmain Turja

Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social, and on Codeberg (user
"akib").

This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key.  Its fingerprint is:

    7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6  66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Splitting nnmaildir groups
@ 2022-10-24 15:48 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-10-24 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> [ This is a correction of my previous message with wrong subject.  I
>   actually wanted to mean nnmaildir, not nnmailbox.  Sorry for the
>   mistake.  ]
>
> I have subscribed to some high volume mailing lists, and I some miss
> important messages within those less important message.
>
> How to split nnmaildir groups?  I download my mails with mbsync and have
> the following select methods:
>
>       (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>       (setq
>        gnus-secondary-select-methods
>        '((nnmaildir
>           "disroot"
>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib@disroot.org/"))
>          (nnmaildir
>           "gmail"
>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib8492@gmail.com-gnus/"))))
>

> And the split rules:
>
>       (setq nnmail-split-methods #'nnmail-split-fancy)
>       (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| "mail.other"))

If you just specify other mailboxes as split targets (ie your
"mail.other" here), they should be automatically created. Is that not
happening for you?

* Re: Splitting nnmaildir groups
@ 2022-10-25 11:33   ` Akib Azmain Turja
From: Akib Azmain Turja @ 2022-10-25 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>
>> [ This is a correction of my previous message with wrong subject.  I
>>   actually wanted to mean nnmaildir, not nnmailbox.  Sorry for the
>>   mistake.  ]
>>
>> I have subscribed to some high volume mailing lists, and I some miss
>> important messages within those less important message.
>>
>> How to split nnmaildir groups?  I download my mails with mbsync and have
>> the following select methods:
>>
>>       (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>>       (setq
>>        gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>        '((nnmaildir
>>           "disroot"
>>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib@disroot.org/"))
>>          (nnmaildir
>>           "gmail"
>>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib8492@gmail.com-gnus/"))))
>>

>> And the split rules:
>>
>>       (setq nnmail-split-methods #'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>       (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| "mail.other"))
>
> If you just specify other mailboxes as split targets (ie your
> "mail.other" here), they should be automatically created. Is that not
> happening for you?

No, I can't find new group.  Is my "nnmail-split-fancy" variable's value
valid?

--

@ 2022-10-25 15:51     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-10-25 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akib Azmain Turja; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/25/22 17:33 PM, Akib Azmain Turja wrote:

>> Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:
>>
>>> [ This is a correction of my previous message with wrong subject.  I
>>>   actually wanted to mean nnmaildir, not nnmailbox.  Sorry for the
>>>   mistake.  ]
>>>
>>> I have subscribed to some high volume mailing lists, and I some miss
>>> important messages within those less important message.
>>>
>>> How to split nnmaildir groups?  I download my mails with mbsync and have
>>> the following select methods:
>>>
>>>       (setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
>>>       (setq
>>>        gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>>        '((nnmaildir
>>>           "disroot"
>>>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib@disroot.org/"))
>>>          (nnmaildir
>>>           "gmail"
>>>           (directory "~/Documents/mail/akib8492@gmail.com-gnus/"))))
>>>

>>> And the split rules:
>>>
>>>       (setq nnmail-split-methods #'nnmail-split-fancy)
>>>       (setq nnmail-split-fancy '(| "mail.other"))
>>
>> If you just specify other mailboxes as split targets (ie your
>> "mail.other" here), they should be automatically created. Is that not
>> happening for you?
>>

> No, I can't find new group.  Is my "nnmail-split-fancy" variable's value
> valid?

No, good point -- the symbol `nnmail-split-fancy' has both function and
variable values. Using a sharp quote (#') selects the function value but
you want the variable value, so just a regular quote:

(setq nnmail split-methods 'nnmail-split-fancy)

I think! This bit is always a little confusing.