* emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-04-22  1:37 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-04-22  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.

i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
finding it.

i thought perhaps some firefox <----> emacs thing could help.

any ideas here?  other than don't have 1000 tabs?  thanks.

i have org-capture extension and tab clip extension.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-04-22  1:46 ` Samuel Wales
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-04-22  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

in this particular case, i was trying to find a tab that has a reply
in it by me in a text box.

still have not found it but if i could, who knows, c-s using emacs
which looks at firefox dot files or whatever.

On 4/21/22, Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:
> i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.
>
> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.
>
> i thought perhaps some firefox <----> emacs thing could help.
>
> any ideas here?  other than don't have 1000 tabs?  thanks.
>
> i have org-capture extension and tab clip extension.
>
> --
> The Kafka Pandemic
>
> A blog about science, health, human rights, and misopathy:
> https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-04-22  2:22 ` Hendursaga
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Hendursaga @ 2022-04-22  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, help-gnu-emacs

> i thought perhaps some firefox <----> emacs thing could help.
>
> any ideas here?  other than don't have 1000 tabs?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but have you looked into the Nyxt browser[1]? It's mostly written in Common Lisp and one could describe it as an aspiring Emacs of web browsers. Tab filtering / switching is one of its strengths. In addition, there are ways of interoperating with Emacs, see for instance, some of Andrea's blog articles[2].

[1] https://nyxt.atlas.engineer/
[2] https://ag91.github.io/tags/nyxt/

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-04-22  2:29   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-04-22  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hendursaga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

that sounds very interesting.  i am glad alternatives like that are
being developed.  however, i am very interested in the emacs <---->
firefox thing, but i don't think i have it in me to try an entirely
new gui browser, for a variety of reasons.

@ 2022-04-22  3:58     ` Jonas Damm
From: Jonas Damm @ 2022-04-22  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Hendursaga

Hi,

The following is a solution I copied from David Wilsons
"emacs-from-scratch" repository:

You could configure Firefox to open every tab as a new window, for
example by using the "i hate tabs" extension.

I am using exwm, so I have this in my emacs config:

  (defun efs/exwm-update-title ()
    (pcase exwm-class-name
      ("Firefox-esr" (exwm-workspace-rename-buffer (format "Firefox: %s" exwm-title)))
      ("qutebrowser" (exwm-workspace-rename-buffer (format "Qutebrowser: %s" exwm-title)))))

You can find out more about this here:
https://github.com/daviwil/emacs-from-scratch/blob/f4918aadf6970b098999d28bdbc212942aa62b80/show-notes/Emacs-Desktop-03.org

With this, you can fuzzy search your tabs by the switch-to-buffer
command or with counsel-switch-to-buffer, which i prefer.

@ 2022-04-22  4:13       ` Jonas Damm
From: Jonas Damm @ 2022-04-22  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Hendursaga

I should clarify that this will only work, if every Firefox window is
an emacs buffer like with exwm. So it won't work in a classic desktop
environment.

@ 2022-04-22  4:21       ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-04-22  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Damm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Hendursaga

thank you.  is this a combination of putting all tabs into windows and
using exwm to filter those?  exwm is intriguing, however, 1000 windows
would not be possible for me and i am currently stuck with fluxbox.

also, i meant for my question to be open-ended, i.e. this kind of
thing and any kind of emacs <----> firefox stuff is welcome. i don't
know what is really possible out there or written without yet being
published etc.  so i do not mean to limit this query to searching tabs
but also include other things that currently are not possible to do in
firefox.  thus nobody off topic.

[for all i know, maybe there is a comprehensive-ish org-mode / firefox
dot files / whatever kind of thingie.]

@ 2022-04-22  4:26         ` Jonas Damm
From: Jonas Damm @ 2022-04-22  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Hendursaga

Exwm is just mapping the individual windows to emacs buffers. The
function
   efs/exwm-update-title ()
changes the buffername to the title of the tab.

After that you can use any function you prefer to search a tab. I use
counsel-switch-to-buffer. This allows to type only a few characters of
the tab-title to find and preview it directly.

@ 2022-04-22 14:56           ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2022-04-22 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Hey Sam,

I don't know if this helps answer your initial buffer list of tabs, but you might find this package useful as I thought of this, and thought this can only help your quest to use Emacs and Firefox simultaneously:
https://github.com/tecosaur/emacs-everywhere

Its a cool package by Tecosaur, who helps maintain Org Mode.

I mention this because that user's Emacs config is pretty awesome, and he's on the level of 'abo abo' where their thought process on how they use Emacs is on point in the best way possible.

Also, I found this StackOverflow post on 'Firemacs' which is an extension for Emacs style tab usage as well:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/20748/emacs-keybindings-for-textboxes-in-firefox

This is a post on a person who modified their Firefox to accommodate more Emacs style bindings:
http://jordi.inversethought.com/blog/exercising-software-freedom-on-firefox/

If you like Vim style keybindings, this might be cool to check out:
https://github.com/brookhong/Surfingkeys

Another vim style keybindings Firefox extension I found:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/keyboard-control-for-firefox/?src=api

This is a package for using Emacs keybindings on Linux:
https://github.com/mooz/xkeysnail

This allows you to edit text in an external editor on Firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/textern/

Hope that helps!

Sam

@ 2022-04-22 16:16 ` Ivan Popovych
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Ivan Popovych @ 2022-04-22 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales, help-gnu-emacs

> i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.
>
> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.
>
> i thought perhaps some firefox <----> emacs thing could help.
>
> any ideas here?  other than don't have 1000 tabs?  thanks.
>
> i have org-capture extension and tab clip extension.

I saw this package recently, from its description it may be what
you need, thought I did not use it myself.

Link: https://github.com/bitspook/spookfox
Reddit post discussing it: https://r.nf/r/emacs/comments/taej05/spookfox_manage_firefox_tabs_using_orgmode/

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-22 16:24 ` Corwin Brust
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Corwin Brust @ 2022-04-22 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Apr 21, 2022 at 8:37 PM Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.
>
> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.

Purely a FireFox approach but you may want to have a look at the All
Tabs Helper extension.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/all-tabs-helper/

Kind regards,
Corwin

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-22 17:00 ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2022-04-22 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.
>
> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.

Samuel,

This isn't an Emacs fix, but I just tried something in Brave (a Chrome
derivative). I brought up the task manager, scrolled to a tab, then
double clicked. That brought that tab to the front of the browser
window which contained it. You might try that with Firefox and see if
it works there as well.

Skip

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-23  0:46 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-04-23  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> [2022-04-22 04:38]:
> i have more than a thousand tabs in firefox, i think.
>
> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.
>
> i thought perhaps some firefox <----> emacs thing could help.
>
> any ideas here?  other than don't have 1000 tabs?  thanks.
>
> i have org-capture extension and tab clip extension.

How I do it, I completely disregard browser's bookmarks and use
org-capture extension to record WWW bookmarks into PostgreSQL
database, within Hyperscope for Emacs.

Frameshot:
https://gnu.support/images/2022/04/2022-04-23/Screenshot-2022-04-23-03-44-03-743174672.png

Any time later I can quickly locate a bookmark and launch it, describe
it, designate it as task, complete it, and similar.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2022-04-23  1:30 ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2022-04-23  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> i try to find a tab i need and i am unaware of any firefox feature for
> finding it.

You might want to give this:

  https://www.one-tab.com/

a try - maybe with a fresh profile first (firefox -P).  Allows to
convert your tabs into a list of links.  That list is searchable with
C-f.  You can restore single tabs or all at once.  Allows to have
multiple lists and some manipulation of these lists.  I think it's not
bad, and it keeps things simple.

Michael.

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-05-01  9:23   ` TRS-80
From: TRS-80 @ 2022-05-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ivan Popovych <ivan.popovich000@gmail.com> writes:

> I saw this package recently, from its description it may be what
> you need, thought I did not use it myself.
>
> Link: https://github.com/bitspook/spookfox

I am not OP, but I think that's the neatest thing since sliced bread!
Thanks for sharing it.

Cheers,
TRS-80

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2022-05-26  2:22   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2022-05-26  2:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

a lot of very interesting ideas in this thread.  [op here.]

thank you all. still assimilating [which takes me time].

onetab looks rather useful, but the reviews say it loses data, perhaps
due to a 400 tab magic number.  i'd be concerned i'd get to that
number for some reason even if i started fresh, then forget about it,
then lose data.  the website says it will not lose data.

[also, i fear starting fresh, as gmail freqyuently thinks my ip is not
mine, and not starting fresh appeases it.]

spookfox looks similar to onetab with org goodness attached.  when it
gets a bit more stable, i will think about what to do to integrate it.
it does definitely look wonderful at first glance.
maybe, to start, i will use just a single place in my bookmarks.org type file
[which i use for manual copy all tabs or whatever just because firefox
loses tabs every so often; it's not that useful currently].  i have
long wanted somehint kind of similar for my org forest, scatered
throughout.  i hvave not tried it yet.

one little point about the searching for tabs example was searching for
my own text in a text box, which makes the task a bit more complex i'd
imagine, as not in url.  but it is an open-ended q.

tabfs idea looks very interesting also.  i'm not sure i am up for
fuse, but standard shell tools would be /great/.

task manager idea is also interesting.  i wonder if there is an equiv
in linux.  i don't use proced or such enough to know.

emacs [incl org] are powerful and understandable; firefox has
limitations. seems [to me] like loads of opportunity there.

--

@ 2023-01-24  4:26     ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-01-24  4:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

i think another dealbreaker on onetab is that it seems to load all
tabs that are loaded in, as opposed to suspending them or whatever you
call it.  at least that is what i was able to glean from the docs.  my
2000+ tabs would invoke oom killer.

@ 2023-01-24 13:31       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-01-24 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> i think another dealbreaker on onetab is that it seems to load all
> tabs that are loaded in, as opposed to suspending them or whatever you
> call it.  at least that is what i was able to glean from the docs.  my
> 2000+ tabs would invoke oom killer.

I'm not sure if this is what is happening.  You should get a page with
2000+ links that opens nearly instantly.  I don't think they are all
loaded into memory.

You should not accidentally hit the "Restore All" button that is added
to the top line by default, however.  Then you're lost.  That happened
to me once, and I had to kill my system and restore the previous state
of firefox from backup.

I moved that button to the ">> More Tools" section so that it is not
accessible until I select that submenu.

Michael.

* Re: emacs <----> firefox
@ 2023-02-03 22:09         ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-02-03 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

below.

On 1/24/23, Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:
> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> i think another dealbreaker on onetab is that it seems to load all
>> tabs that are loaded in, as opposed to suspending them or whatever you
>> call it.  at least that is what i was able to glean from the docs.  my
>> 2000+ tabs would invoke oom killer.
>
> I'm not sure if this is what is happening.  You should get a page with
> 2000+ links that opens nearly instantly.  I don't think they are all
> loaded into memory.

i should try it, then; thanks.  [even though i already semi-nuked my
set of tabs hoping to org it at least partly.]

> You should not accidentally hit the "Restore All" button that is added
> to the top line by default, however.  Then you're lost.  That happened
> to me once, and I had to kill my system and restore the previous state
> of firefox from backup.
>
> I moved that button to the ">> More Tools" section so that it is not
> accessible until I select that submenu.

does it let you move buttons or does this mean some kind of
greasemonkey or js wizardry or so?

--

@ 2023-02-03 23:37           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2023-02-03 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> > I moved that button to the ">> More Tools" section so that it is not
> > accessible until I select that submenu.
>
> does it let you move buttons or does this mean some kind of
> greasemonkey or js wizardry or so?

Firefox does let you do this: You right-click on the toolbar and select
"Customize Toolbar".  Then a rectangle named "Overflow Menu" appears.
By default it's empty and there is a face of a fish in it, at least in
my firefox version (but it's just the standard firefox coming with
Debian testing).

You can drag any tool-bar button into that field and then say "done".
After that this item is only accessible in the toolbar submenu that
appears when you click on the ">>" button.  Seems this ">>" button is
only visible when this overflow menu in not empty.

I only found this by accident and did this exactly once, so my knowledge
about that is ... limited.

Michael.