* emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
@ 2024-03-10 10:11 Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-03-10 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I never thought about it, but I set the variable

dired-mouse-drag-files t.

That however does not allow me to copy (or move) a file from one
directory to another it seems.

Does such functionality exist already?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer
--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

* Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
@ 2024-03-10 10:57 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-03-10 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> I never thought about it, but I set the variable
>
> dired-mouse-drag-files t.
>
> That however does not allow me to copy (or move) a file from one
> directory to another it seems.

What window system are you running, and precisely what behavior are you
expecting?  dired-mouse-drag-file enables dragging files from Emacs to
other applications and between windows, but not within one window where
a Dired buffer is displayed.

* Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
@ 2024-03-10 11:12   ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-03-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "PL" == Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Hi
>>
>> I never thought about it, but I set the variable
>>
>> dired-mouse-drag-files t.
>>
>> That however does not allow me to copy (or move) a file from one
>> directory to another it seems.

> What window system are you running, and precisely what behavior are you
> expecting?  dired-mouse-drag-file enables dragging files from Emacs to
> other applications and between windows, but not within one window where
> a Dired buffer is displayed.

I am on Ubuntu running trinity that is a fork of KDE3 for more recent
Ubuntu versions.

I spit the windows in two and tried to drag a file from one directory to
the other in same window. That failed.

However I just realized that it works if I open a new frame (of the same
emacs), at least of one per one base, but it seems I can drag and drop a
bunch of files (if I am not mistaken)

That is indeed very nice (although I am not a huge fan of
frames...)

Thanks

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support the EU and NATO membership of Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
@ 2024-03-10 18:46     ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-03-10 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am on Ubuntu running trinity that is a fork of KDE3 for more recent
> Ubuntu versions.

> I spit the windows in two and tried to drag a file from one directory to
> the other in same window. That failed.

> However I just realized that it works if I open a new frame (of the same
> emacs), at least of one per one base, but it seems I can drag and drop a
> bunch of files (if I am not mistaken)

Just to clarify. I can drag and drop single files from one frame to
another one (which might be in a different directory)

But I *cannot* drag and drop a bunch of files. Correct?

Are there any intentions to implement such a feature?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer
--

@ 2024-03-11  2:05       ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2024-03-11  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> But I *cannot* drag and drop a bunch of files. Correct?

You can, I think, if these files are marked.

> Are there any intentions to implement such a feature?

If you're referring to dragging within one Dired buffer, not from me,
sorry.

* Re: emacs 29, drag and drop files (copy) from one directory to another in dired mode
@ 2024-03-11  7:17         ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-03-11  7:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs