* unable to use M-% or meta key is not working?
@ 2022-11-03 19:05 jindam, vani
From: jindam, vani @ 2022-11-03 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i am replacing using c-s & icon (replace
search string). it works fine. but, i am
unable to use M-%. i tried alt, ctrl, shift
and escape keys. none of them are working.

i am using xterm on debian bullseye.
stty -a has cs8.

how do i configure it?

regards,
jindam, vani

toots: @jindam_vani@c.im
others: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jindam_vani

* Re: unable to use M-% or meta key is not working?
@ 2022-11-03 19:19 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2022-11-03 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Nov 03, 2022 at 07:05:27PM +0000, jindam, vani wrote:
> i am replacing using c-s & icon (replace
> search string). it works fine. but, i am
> unable to use M-%. i tried alt, ctrl, shift
> and escape keys. none of them are working.

Typically, Alt is bound to Meta, but this depends on your
X configuration. What typically works is ESC, then %, but this
is definitely less comfortable than a "true" Meta key.

Cheers

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: unable to use M-% or meta key is not working?
@ 2022-11-03 19:41   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-11-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

tomas wrote:

>> i am replacing using c-s & icon (replace search string).
>> it works fine. but, i am unable to use M-%. i tried alt,
>> ctrl, shift and escape keys. none of them are working.
>
> Typically, Alt is bound to Meta, but this depends on your
> X configuration. What typically works is ESC, then %, but
> this is definitely less comfortable than a "true" Meta key.

dear comrades of raf, [1]

please try this configuration of the xterm terminal emulator
in ~/.Xresources [2]

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

then load it in ~/.xinitrc [3] with the following command

xrdb ~/.Xresources

see the example files.

this has to do with how the keyboards once looked, it made
more sense then, ergonomically speaking. we don't know why it
isn't the default by now, maybe people aren't working on
xterm anymore?

best wishes from progressive workers and intellectuals of
sweden, we are convinced the accursed bundesrepublik will fall
any day now thanks to your relentless efforts.

[1] they always typed in all-lowercase, maybe hinting that the
    letters should be on the same level as well.
    probably a joke with ironic intent since they themselves
    were an elitist organization lol

[2] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.Xresources

[3] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.xinitrc

--