* How to use ‘ssh -i <identity_file>’ with Tramp?
@ 2022-06-17 13:09 Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-06-17 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I edit remote files using ssh with default options, it works fine. But now
there is a requirement to use an identity_file with option -i. How to add this
option when connecting using Tramp?

On command line I connect using this command,

ssh -i <identity_file> user@host

* Re: How to use ‘ssh -i <identity_file>’ with Tramp?
@ 2022-06-17 13:59 ` Leo Butler
From: Leo Butler @ 2022-06-17 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pankaj Jangid; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, Jun 17 2022, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:

> When I edit remote files using ssh with default options, it works fine. But now
> there is a requirement to use an identity_file with option -i. How to add this
> option when connecting using Tramp?
>
> On command line I connect using this command,
>
> ssh -i <identity_file> user@host

I would create ~/.ssh/config and populate it with your command-line

#+begin_example
Host ssh-example-com
     HostName           ssh.example.com
     User               someone
     Port               4321
     IdentityFile       ~/.ssh/ssh.example.com
#+end_example

Then,

ssh ssh-example-com

will do what you want. Or

C-x C-f /ssh:ssh-example-com:. RET

will open the home directory of "someone" on ssh.example.com.

HTH,
Leo

* Re: How to use ‘ssh -i <identity_file>’ with Tramp?
@ 2022-06-17 14:10   ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-06-17 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo Butler <Leo.Butler@umanitoba.ca> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 17 2022, Pankaj Jangid <pankaj@codeisgreat.org> wrote:
>
>> When I edit remote files using ssh with default options, it works fine. But
>> now there is a requirement to use an identity_file with option -i. How to
>> add this option when connecting using Tramp?
>>
>> On command line I connect using this command,
>>
>> ssh -i <identity_file> user@host
>
> I would create ~/.ssh/config and populate it with your command-line
>
> #+begin_example
> Host ssh-example-com
>      HostName           ssh.example.com
>      User               someone
>      Port               4321
>      IdentityFile       ~/.ssh/ssh.example.com
> #+end_example

Thanks. This works. And I found another option also. Use ssh-add to add the
IdentityFile to ssh’s own store. And then use ssh as usual.

* Re: How to use ‘ssh -i <identity_file>’ with Tramp?
@ 2022-06-17 17:58     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-17 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid wrote:

>>> When I edit remote files using ssh with default options,
>>> it works fine. But now there is a requirement to use an
>>> identity_file with option -i. How to add this option when
>>> connecting using Tramp?
>
> Thanks. This works. And I found another option also.
> Use ssh-add to add the IdentityFile to ssh’s own store.
> And then use ssh as usual.

Meta: I hade to fill these quotes manually. Only your mails.
      What's up with the lines?

But to answer your question, see the use of -i here:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/tramp-incal.el

Actually it isn't that, that's sh(1) or dash on Debian which
isn't even secure.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* [changed_to] Had to fill quotes manually
@ 2022-06-18  7:04       ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2022-06-18  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>> Thanks. This works. And I found another option also.
>> Use ssh-add to add the IdentityFile to ssh’s own store.
>> And then use ssh as usual.
>
> Meta: I hade to fill these quotes manually. Only your mails.
>       What's up with the lines?

I have set fill-column to 47 in message
mode. Like this paragraph.

But to send posts in this mailing list, I just do ‘C-u 79 C-x f’ like
in this paragraph. Is this causing an issue.

* Re: [changed_to] Had to fill quotes manually
@ 2022-06-21  4:02         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-06-21  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pankaj Jangid wrote:

>> I hade to fill these quotes manually. Only your mails.
>> What's up with the lines?
>
> I have set fill-column to 47 in message mode.
> Like this paragraph.
>
> But to send posts in this mailing list, I just do ‘C-u 79
> C-x f’ like in this paragraph. Is this causing an issue.

No, not this time, I think?

But actually it's not an issue re-filling them either. A lot
of people do that.