* Please help me debug my Emacs initialization file
@ 2024-01-28 22:20 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2024-01-28 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help

Here is the file ~/Binaries/runmacs that I use for loading emacs

!/bin/bash
date
cd ~/Downloads/emacs-29.1/src && ./emacs -q --eval "(setq debug-on-error
t)" --debug-init --load "~/java-training-wheels/dmp-emacs--no-init-file.el"
&

Here is a tarball for you to load and execute:

http://davin.50webs.com/java-training-wheels.tar.gz

Extract the tarball:
cd && tar fvx java-training-wheels.tar.gz

Here is the error message that occurs when you run it:

byte-code: Recursive ‘require’ for feature ‘semantic’

This error occurs immediately after the checkpoint:

&safe-require:15014:

in the file ~/java-training-wheels/dlisp/new-code/dmp-safe--require.el.
It gives similar error messages when you execute the following commands:

C-x C-f
M-/
M-.
C-h a
C-s

Why doesn't it show a backtrace since I have --debug-init on the command
line?

NOTE: I have removed the following sentence from my Website
<http://davin.50webs.com>: "In addition to this, I believe that I am New
Zealand's foremost exponent of Stallman's GNU Emacs text editor." in
the hope that it will attract more people in the newsgroup
gnu.emacs.help to reply to this message.
--
Sincerely and kindest regards,
*Davin Pearson* http://davin.50webs.com

* Re: Please help me debug my Emacs initialization file
@ 2024-01-29  0:14 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2024-01-29  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson wrote:

> byte-code: Recursive ‘require’ for feature ‘semantic’

Recursive, maybe that means in the file semantic.el, you
`require' something, that requires semantic.el?

> NOTE: I have removed the following sentence from my Website
> <http://davin.50webs.com>: "In addition to this, I believe
> that I am New Zealand's foremost exponent of Stallman's GNU
> Emacs text editor." in the hope that it will attract more
> people in the newsgroup gnu.emacs.help to reply to
> this message.

So that's why I'm not getting any replies.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Please help me debug my Emacs initialization file
@ 2024-01-29 12:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-01-29 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2024 11:20:07 +1300
>
> Here is the file ~/Binaries/runmacs that I use for loading emacs
>
> !/bin/bash
> date
> cd ~/Downloads/emacs-29.1/src && ./emacs -q --eval "(setq debug-on-error
> t)" --debug-init --load "~/java-training-wheels/dmp-emacs--no-init-file.el"
> &
>
> Here is a tarball for you to load and execute:
>
> http://davin.50webs.com/java-training-wheels.tar.gz
>
> Extract the tarball:
> cd && tar fvx java-training-wheels.tar.gz
>
> Here is the error message that occurs when you run it:
>
> byte-code: Recursive ‘require’ for feature ‘semantic’
>
> This error occurs immediately after the checkpoint:
>
> &safe-require:15014:
>
> in the file ~/java-training-wheels/dlisp/new-code/dmp-safe--require.el.
> It gives similar error messages when you execute the following commands:
>
> C-x C-f
> M-/
> M-.
> C-h a
> C-s
>
> Why doesn't it show a backtrace since I have --debug-init on the command
> line?

Try removing the '--eval "(setq debug-on-error t)"' part from the
command line.  --debug-init arranges to report errors while loading
the init file, but setting debug-on-error to a non-default value
causes it to disable its smarts, since it assumes that the user knew
what they were doing.

* Re: Please help me debug my Emacs initialization file
@ 2024-01-29 13:18 ` Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-01-29 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> http://davin.50webs.com/java-training-wheels.tar.gz

The contents of this file is only these 129 Bytes:

| The uploaded file exceeds the hosting plan limit. Please, consider
| upgrading to a more powerful hosting package.
|
| www.50webs.com

for me.

Michael.