* emacs 28.2 after upgrade lowercase s is broken
@ 2023-03-12 14:23 Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2023-03-12 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On OpenBSD after I upgraded the OS and EMACS and updated my packages,
the lowercase s is now not displayed correctly. This is using X with
awesomewm.
> This is GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8)
> of 2023-03-10

Only the lower curvy part of the s is sohwn. I.e. The complete upper
part is missing. If the s is bold is or highlighted appears.

I can recreate this with launching emacs -q and typing s in the
scratch buffer. See attached. Also note the status line the s in Lisp.

Any thoughts on how to debug this?

[-- Attachment #2: emacs-s-issue --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 5248 bytes --]

* Re: emacs 28.2 after upgrade lowercase s is broken
@ 2023-03-12 14:43 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2023-03-12 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Jon Fineman <jon@fineman.me>
> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:23:36 -0400
>
> On OpenBSD after I upgraded the OS and EMACS and updated my packages,
> the lowercase s is now not displayed correctly. This is using X with
> awesomewm.
> > This is GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8)
> > of 2023-03-10
>
> Only the lower curvy part of the s is sohwn. I.e. The complete upper
> part is missing. If the s is bold is or highlighted appears.
>
> I can recreate this with launching emacs -q and typing s in the
> scratch buffer. See attached. Also note the status line the s in Lisp.

Note that s in bold is OK there.

> Any thoughts on how to debug this?

Try a different font?

* Re: emacs 28.2 after upgrade lowercase s is broken
@ 2023-03-12 21:13   ` Jon Fineman
From: Jon Fineman @ 2023-03-12 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Jon Fineman <jon@fineman.me>
>> Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2023 10:23:36 -0400
>>
>> On OpenBSD after I upgraded the OS and EMACS and updated my packages,
>> the lowercase s is now not displayed correctly. This is using X with
>> awesomewm.
>> > This is GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-openbsd, GTK+ Version 3.24.37, cairo version 1.17.8)
>> > of 2023-03-10
>>
>> Only the lower curvy part of the s is sohwn. I.e. The complete upper
>> part is missing. If the s is bold is or highlighted appears.
>>
>> I can recreate this with launching emacs -q and typing s in the
>> scratch buffer. See attached. Also note the status line the s in Lisp.
>
> Note that s in bold is OK there.
>
>> Any thoughts on how to debug this?
>
> Try a different font?

Changing the fonts worked, thank you.

With the menu bar I explored a few different fonts and checked the use
system font and unchecked it.

Not that I necessarily want to undo what I did, I have no idea what I
changed. My init.el and custom-vars.el files were not updated.

The original font was:

name (opened by): -PfEd-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-normal-normal-*-13-*-*-*-m-0-iso10646-1
       full name: DejaVu Sans Mono:pixelsize=13:foundry=PfEd:weight=normal:slant=normal:width=normal:spacing=100:scalable=true
       file name: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/DejaVuSansMono.ttf
            size: 13
          height: 17
 baseline-offset:  0
relative-compose:  0