* [29.1] Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2023-09-28 13:14 Amol
From: Amol @ 2023-09-28 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

The editor I built and installed locally fails (with or without -Q)
very early (/proc/pid/maps show no .eln loaded) at startup with
these errors:

Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
Symbol’s function definition is void: internal-echo-keystrokes-prefix

The editor seems to be stuck in a loop, all the while making the
system speaker beep in endless intervals. The process has to
be killed.

The flags --debug-init or --debug do not help.
There's no init.el in /home/user/.emacs.d/ folder.

The host system is running Arch Linux.
Configuration and Build:

# Source downloaded from [1].

CFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/home/user/tools/emacs \
--without-all --with-modules --with-native-compilation --with-zlib \
--without-x --without-json --with-dumping=none --without-sound \
--with-small-ja-dic --disable-build-details --without-sqlite3

# The output of the configuration command is at [2].

make
make install
The symptoms are similar to those described in [3] and [4]. But,
since mine is a custom install, the file named `emacs` in the bin dir
of the installation is a sym-link to the ELF binary `emacs-29.1`;
there's no shell-script involved in launching the editor.

Interestingly, if the emacs binary, that gets built in the source folder,
`/home/user/src/emacs-29.1/src/emacs`, is run from that source
folder, the editor launches without any problems. That binary is also
exactly the same as that which gets installed upon 'make install`.

This same problem occurs with the editor built from the git sources
of the master branch, when built yesterday.

Is the configuration (especially the -O3 flag) a problem here?
Am I building the editor with an unsupported/invalid configuration?

Thank you,
Amol Surati
[1] http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/emacs-29.1.tar.xz
[2] https://pastebin.com/G3jDsfgR
[3] https://lists.gnu.org/r/bug-gnu-emacs/2016-11/msg00403.html
[4] https://old.reddit.com/r/openSUSE/comments/15jkrut/emacs_29111_breaks_after_last_update/

* Re: [29.1] Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2023-09-28 13:47 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-09-28 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amol wrote:

> The editor I built and installed locally fails (with or
> without -Q) very early (/proc/pid/maps show no .eln loaded)
> at startup with these errors:
>
> Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
> Symbol’s function definition is void: internal-echo-keystrokes-prefix

So not only is no .eln loaded, files.el and simple.el are also
not load, which is were those functions reside.

So something is up with your installation process, try
installing Emacs again and keep notes of all the commands you
enter and look for any error message that could hint as to
what is going on/wrong.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: [29.1] Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2023-09-28 13:59 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-09-28 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amol; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    Amol> Hello,
    Amol> The editor I built and installed locally fails (with or without -Q)
    Amol> very early (/proc/pid/maps show no .eln loaded) at startup with
    Amol> these errors:

    Amol> Symbol's function definition is void: file-name-sans-extension
    Amol> Symbol’s function definition is void: internal-echo-keystrokes-prefix

    Amol> The editor seems to be stuck in a loop, all the while making the
    Amol> system speaker beep in endless intervals. The process has to
    Amol> be killed.

    Amol> The flags --debug-init or --debug do not help.
    Amol> There's no init.el in /home/user/.emacs.d/ folder.

    Amol> The host system is running Arch Linux.
    Amol> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Amol> Configuration and Build:

    Amol> # Source downloaded from [1].

    Amol> CFLAGS=-O3 ./configure --prefix=/home/user/tools/emacs \
    Amol> --without-all --with-modules --with-native-compilation --with-zlib \
    Amol> --without-x --without-json --with-dumping=none --without-sound \
    Amol> --with-small-ja-dic --disable-build-details --without-sqlite3

Iʼm not saying '--with-dumping=none' is unsupported, but youʼre very
much in seldom sailed waters (especially in combination with
'--with-native-compilation')

Robert

* Re: [29.1] Symbol's function definition is void
@ 2023-09-28 16:11   ` Amol
From: Amol @ 2023-09-28 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That was it! Thank you!

With the '--with-dumping' option removed altogether, the configuration
chose the default value 'pdumper' for it. The install now works.

As you pointed out, the option '--with-dumping=none' seems to have
interfered with the building of the emacs binary[*].

-Amol
-----
[*] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/elisp/Building-Emacs.html

@ 2023-09-29 13:37     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2023-09-29 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amol wrote:

> With the '--with-dumping' option removed altogether, the
> configuration chose the default value 'pdumper' for it.
> The install now works.
>
> As you pointed out, the option '--with-dumping=none' seems
> to have interfered with the building of the emacs binary

Is it always like that in combination with switching on
native compilation?